The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

What is the Soul?

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby humphreys » Mon May 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Fought for food :evil:
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby DIss0n80r » Mon May 28, 2012 9:47 pm

wrought for droogs
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby frrostedman » Mon May 28, 2012 11:16 pm

humphreys wrote:Fought for food :evil:

Food fought four.
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby khanster » Mon May 28, 2012 11:39 pm

http://bigthink.com/ideas/24634

Now to teleport a human raises all the ethical questions that you mentioned, because the original first of all has to be destroyed in the process of quantum teleportation. So if get Captain Kirk, zap him across the room, you have now seen Captain Kirk die. You’ve seen his atoms fall apart, but here is this other Captain Kirk on the other side of the room who has the same bad jokes, who has the same character, all the personality quirks as the original Captain Kirk. So the imposter says, "No, I’m real. I have the memories, the personality, the quirks. I am Captain Kirk." Well you just saw the original die and if you believe in a soul that soul went to heaven or maybe the other place, but that person is dead, so who is this imposter over there? Does the imposter have a soul?
khanster

Previous

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts