The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Robots controlled with human minds

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby humphreys » Thu May 24, 2012 12:34 am

Like at1 says, I'd be pretty unsure about wanting to transfer my memories etc into an android brain. Until we understand more about how the brain works, I'd be really worried about that robot still being me.

I guess it beats otherwise certain death, though.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby mrshumphreys » Thu May 24, 2012 9:55 am

humphreys wrote:Well technically there should be no problem, so I think eventually it's basically a sure thing. How long will it take is the question.

I think you missed what I was asking. What I meant was, can they do it?!

Sometimes it's like you don't even know me.
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mrshumphreys

Postby humphreys » Thu May 24, 2012 10:27 am

Oh, I see, robot sexy times?

I don't see why not, they're on the verge on having robot prostitutes in Japan already.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby event_horizon » Thu May 24, 2012 11:39 am

Just add lubrication.
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby humphreys » Thu May 24, 2012 12:04 pm

Robot prostitutes anyone?

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby at1with0 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:03 pm

Borderline disturbing. :silent:
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby mrshumphreys » Fri May 25, 2012 1:16 pm

humphreys wrote:Robot prostitutes anyone?

And then suddenly it's like you see right through me!
That's what I'm talking about. Sign me up for that, please, thank you.
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mrshumphreys

Postby at1with0 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:45 pm

I hope you mean the taller one. :silent:
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby khanster » Mon May 28, 2012 3:36 pm

Marshall Brain wrote a book about the future technology of transferring the human brain into a virtual reality system.

http://marshallbrain.com/discard8.htm

In another mode, the Vertebrane system disconnects your brain from your body and reconnects it to an in-game body. This in-game body has the same 600 muscle groups that your natural body has, and your brain controls all of these virtual muscles in the same, completely natural way that you control your biological muscles. The eyes of your in-game body replace your natural eyes. The same is true for touch, taste, smell, balance, pleasure, pain, etc. In other words, your brain completely connects to your in-game body, and your experience of the game is completely immersive.

With Vertebrane, you actually live inside the game. The game world is no different from the real world as far as your brain is concerned.

Whole-body transplant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole-body_transplant

A whole-body transplant or brain transplant is a hypothetical operation in which the brain of one being is transplanted into the body of another. It is a procedure distinct from head transplant, which involves transferring the entire head to a new body, as opposed to the brain only. Theoretically, a person with advanced organ failure could be given a new and functional body while keeping their own personality and memories.

Historically, whole-body transplants have not been feasible and were widely regarded as impossible. Today, given progress in organ transplant and human cloning research, many scientists hold that whole-body transplants are theoretically possible and likely to be feasible in the future.

Whole-body transplants and similar concepts have been explored in various forms of fiction.

Robot with a biological brain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wACltn9QpCc

What is the definition of consciousness?

khanster

Previous

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts