The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Questions that make you think...

No more logic

In this forum, questions are asked which are really tough to answer. Some philosophical, some regarding morality and many others. Have fun, and post your own personal tough questions!

Postby at1with0 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:48 pm

What would happen if we abandoned the three Aristotlean laws of thought?
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby Wing-Zero » Fri May 18, 2012 2:43 pm

We get our present society.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby at1with0 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Much of what Aristotle did still heavily influences at least Western paradigms.
at1with0

Postby greeney2 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:39 pm

Alfred E. Newman and Homer Simpson are more like todays society.
greeney2

Postby at1with0 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:19 am

What I'm ultimately wondering is if an omnipotent being is governed by logic.
at1with0

Postby CodeBlackv2 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:04 pm

I'm reading a work in philosophy from 450 years ago and it is obvious to me that people of the past were far smarter than people today. The difference in I.Q. is just staggering. Why are people today so stupid? Is it that the luxuries of the modern world have caused the human mind to atrophy? Is it that through democracy combined with pop culture we have preferred the lesser mind to the greater one? Whatever it is, its a dangerous precedence.

The work I am reading now is just magnificent. They were debating, 450 years ago, many of the things we debate today, except that they arrived at the correct answer. Today we arrive at goofy world. Not to toot my own horn, because it does not reflect on me, but the author is actually an ancestor of mine, which is how I found his many works. This guy had to be the smartest person on Earth in his time, held more titles than any person in history, was made head of the Protestant Church of Scotland despite not being a member of the clergy, was tried and convicted by the Inquisition and TALKED HIS WAY OUT OF IT, impossible. This guy could read the dictionary and make it sound like Shakespeare. He was the foremost Latin scholar in all of Europe when that meant something and the tutor of a large number of European royalty. He was the adopted father of the King of Great Britain (son of Mary QoS), and got him to sign over the crown to him for 2 weeks by getting him to sign documents without looking at them (to teach the king a lesson), And you've probably never heard his name.
CodeBlackv2

Postby at1with0 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:23 pm

I envision purposeful, aware suspension of belief in the three laws of thought might lead to breakthroughs especially when it comes to resolving paradoxes in the least unsatisfying manner possible.
at1with0

Postby CodeBlackv2 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:51 am

I think I've answered my own question. People today are incapable, even at the highest levels of education, of thinking rationally. Rational thinking no longer exists. People are obsessed with their own emotions and frustrations with the world that it overshadows any ability for rational thought. People argue, based on their false perceptions, for what they WANT to be true rather than what actually is or should be, as determined by rational analysis. Their arguments fly in the face of facts and are contrary to nature. And I think I know WHY this has happened. Pop culture. Pop culture has skewed the minds of people into an obsessive concern for being approved of by society more then wanting to be actually correct. This is what has happened to our society and it does not bode well for the future of mankind. This is what happens when governments take over school systems.

This is not rational thinking:
The Multiverse Hierarchy

This is rational thinking:
De Jure Regni Apud Scotos (free download button)

See the difference?

The first work is more politics than science. The second work, of politics, contains more rational thought than the scientific paper did.

Every major in every university should require logic and rational thinking as a course. It should be mandatory and universal. Our universities are failing us. And, every public school should be required to teach capitalism and democracy, also known as, our system.
CodeBlackv2

Postby at1with0 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:13 pm

Labels sure can be fun.
at1with0

Postby bionic » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:04 am

logistically, yes
they can be fun
labels are simply we all (okay..most of us)have agreed upon
logic needs labels though, huh?
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Next

Return to Questions that make you think...

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts