The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Questions that make you think...

The Technological Singularity

In this forum, questions are asked which are really tough to answer. Some philosophical, some regarding morality and many others. Have fun, and post your own personal tough questions!

Postby khanster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:22 am

DIss0n80r wrote:I saw this movie once where a sex robot went haywire and became a serial rapist.

Thanks for trolling again. :wall:
khanster

Postby khanster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:24 am

DIss0n80r wrote:I saw this movie once where a sex robot went haywire and became a serial rapist.

:wall: :wall: :wall:
khanster

Postby DIss0n80r » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:09 pm

Khan, you really need to chill out with calling me a troll. How was that even trolling? A bit silly, maybe, but it fits in with what we've been talking about. I didn't just make it up; It was a foreign movie I just happen to remember and mentioned. I can't recall the title but I'm pretty sure it was japanese.
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby khanster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:55 pm

I suppose it is possible for an artificial brain to suffer a psychotic breakdown ...the implications are frightening, yes.
khanster

Postby DIss0n80r » Tue May 01, 2012 11:09 am

khanster wrote:I suppose it is possible for an artificial brain to suffer a psychotic breakdown ...the implications are frightening, yes.

That's more like it.

See? It's not trolling to explore different angles of a subject.

If artificial brains become at least capable of the sophisticated diversity and interplay of thoughts and perceptions that organic brains are capable of, then why wouldn't artificial brains be able to experience delusional states? Or even states that are considered "negative" yet are still subjectively valid, such as ennui?

Of course, non-human machine intelligence would inevitably surpass the range of experience within which the human mind is defined, but does that mean madness can be transcended, for example? Could irrationality be possible even for advanced artilects?

Perhaps the capacity for irrationality may even be vital to conscious thought in some way.... perhaps sharing a complementary role with intuition, for example.
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby at1with0 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:33 am

That makes a lot of sense.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby khanster » Thu May 03, 2012 12:47 am

DIss0n80r wrote:
Perhaps the capacity for irrationality may even be vital to conscious thought in some way.... perhaps sharing a complementary role with intuition, for example.

Irrational people eventually end up at the funny farm, where life is beautiful and people are always smiling after getting their thorazine injections.
khanster

Postby DIss0n80r » Thu May 03, 2012 5:21 am

If only that were true.
DIss0n80r

Postby at1with0 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:18 am

That's why you commit to memory a list of all the psychiatric drugs and at intake say you're allergic to them all.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby DIss0n80r » Fri May 04, 2012 3:11 pm

:shh:
DIss0n80r

PreviousNext

Return to Questions that make you think...

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts