The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

William Lane Craig

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby khanster » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:57 pm

greeney2 wrote:
khanster wrote:
frrostedman wrote:Intriguing on the pi / heat dissipation.

Mildly interesting that I immediately thought of Cardinal Wolsey (my ancestor of about 525 years ago) when you said cardinal math.

How can Cardinal Wolsey be your ancestor if he was celibate?

Easy! On a family tree, he may have been one of several brothers from the same Father or generation, who on the family tree, will show no marriage or children, and he would still be an ancestor of Frrostys.

That means he is a relative but not a direct ancestor.
khanster

Postby at1with0 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:55 pm

And how is the weather in Somalia?
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby frrostedman » Tue May 01, 2012 8:32 pm

Wolsey was supposed to be celibate as a member of the church, but he had a mistress and 2 children. I bear the same name as did my father and I know we are direct descendants but I've never bothered to research the family tree, truth be told. About 30 years ago, my Father received a bronze medallion that had a picture of Cardinal Wolsey engraved on it and it said something about 500 years. I guess it was the 500th anniversary of his birth or death. Dad didn't pass that thing down, so I imagine he pawned it off or something. :roll:

What I meant to say when I said he "probably wasn't celibate," as obviously he wasn't if he fathered children, was as Cardinal of the Church of England--supposed to be celibate, but died of venereal disease (according to Britannica many years ago) so probably didn't maintain celibacy even to the end of his life.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby frrostedman » Tue May 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Embarassingly, I had to wiki ol' Wolsey to see if I had it right. He didn't exactly have a mistress per se, he was married to her but the Church didn't ordain the marriage... wiki calls it a "noncanonical marriage" lol. He had 2 kids with his "wife" but it was well before he headed the Church of England... answering only to the Pope in Rome. Me? I decided early in my youth I would never have kids. And as far as I know, I've succeeded in that endeavor. I did have one old flame tell me she was pregnant but when I insisted on marriage, she disappeared and I never saw her again. The assumption was she was bluffing to get money out of me for a (fake) abortion. So as far as I know, the (Cardinal) Wolsey line is severed permanently. I have a half-brother who also never fathered a child. And my father had no brothers. Hmmmm.... now I'm feeling a sense of guilt and obligation.

*turns and stares at beautiful wife with child-bearing hips*
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Previous

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts