The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Questions that make you think...

More on the "what is truth?" question

In this forum, questions are asked which are really tough to answer. Some philosophical, some regarding morality and many others. Have fun, and post your own personal tough questions!

Postby khanster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:43 am

DIss0n80r wrote:Is reality one thing or many things?

I am not going to define what REALITY is. This thread is about "what is truth?", it is not about defining the totality of all that exists.
khanster

Postby DIss0n80r » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:13 am

The concepts are intimately related. What is true is real. What is real is true. Make sense?

The totality must be either one thing or many. True or false?
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby khanster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:16 am

DIss0n80r wrote:The concepts are intimately related. What is true is real. What is real is true. Make sense?

The totality must be either one thing or many. True or false?

I don't have to define reality. I don't know what reality is and I don't appreciate your troll question.
khanster

Postby khanster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:27 am

Reality is like truth in that it can only be defined in terms of itself. As at1with0 puts it, it is an atomic word or idea.
khanster

Postby DIss0n80r » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:42 am

Sorry, my friend. From my POV, we were engaged in a good debate. My posts were on-topic, I think, but I will disengage from debate now since you are evidently a bit upset.

I wish you a speedy recovery and hope we speak again on better terms. Enjoy your thread. I may still post here in response to at1 but rest assured I will not be paying you more than cursory attention.
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby khanster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Such is the nature of these DISS-cussions. Take care Dissonator and don't worry, it is all good, metaphorically speaking, of course. I just cannot define reality... :D .

The subjective nature of the mind's "I" self, makes perception vary and thus our feel for the world is not a constant. Some days perception feels spooky, other days happy, moody, blue, false and true, ...etc.

The scientific method is used to eliminate these subjective feelings and discover the objective status quo of the truth at large.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/innova ... ethod6.htm

khanster

Postby at1with0 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:50 pm

So all perception is thrown out the window?
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby khanster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:11 pm

at1with0 wrote:So all perception is thrown out the window?

Objectivity with minimization of subjectivity appears to be the goal of science... and mathematics...

http://skepticalsayhow.blogspot.com/201 ... ctive.html

The objectivity of science and of scientific inquiry is often perceived as vital to its ability to uncover truth. This objectivity is seen as a way to ensure that the explanation of the nature of an object is independent of any features of the particular subject who studied it. This means that an objective account of the nature of an object does not draw on any assumptions, values or prejudices of a particular subject and thus can be universally accepted.
khanster

Postby at1with0 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:22 pm

Assumptions like the three laws of thought?
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby khanster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:35 pm

at1with0 wrote:Assumptions like the three laws of thought?

This appears to be a non-sequitur. hopefully you can elaborate on what you are trying to say and stop posting one liners... :P
khanster

PreviousNext

Return to Questions that make you think...

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts