The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Questions that make you think...

The Technological Singularity

In this forum, questions are asked which are really tough to answer. Some philosophical, some regarding morality and many others. Have fun, and post your own personal tough questions!

Postby khanster » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:41 pm

The momentum of technological evolution cannot be stopped...

http://www.singularitysymposium.com/ted-kaczynski.html

"... the human race might easily permit itself to drift into a position of such dependence on the machines that it would have no practical choice but to accept all of the machines decisions. As society and the problems that face it become more and more complex and machines become more and more intelligent, people will let machines make more of their decision for them, simply because machine-made decisions will bring better result than man-made ones. Eventually a stage may be reached at which the decisions necessary to keep the system running will be so complex that human beings will be incapable of making them intelligently. At that stage the machines will be in effective control. People won't be able to just turn the machines off, because they will be so dependent on them that turning them off would amount to suicide."

Michio Kaku says we will all join with machines. To me, that appears spell out extinction for the human species.

Count down to human extinction...

http://profhugodegaris.files.wordpress. ... rticle.pdf

It’s only a question of time before artificial brains overtake
our biological brains and become selfaware.
Within a decade we should be able to
assemble an artificial brain with the same
level of complexity and connectivity as the
human brain.

Should humans build machines that could take over the world?

http://www.futuretimeline.net/21stcentu ... an-machine

Humans are becoming intimately merged with machines

[...]

The line between man and machine is starting to blur. Later this century, there will no longer be a clear distinction.

Humans will become extinct within the next few centuries.

The holdouts who refuse technological upgrades will be kept in a human zoo for their own protection, and they will be watched over by the machines.

khanster

Postby khanster » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:46 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

khanster

Postby khanster » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:56 am

khanster

Postby khanster » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:34 pm

It is only a matter of time before the complexity of machine brains surpasses the complexity of human brains. When that happens, humans will no longer be the dominant intelligence on Earth.

http://singinst.org/media/interviews/marshallbrain

So I think sometime in the 2030, 2040, 2050 timeframe, we're able to say, "Here's a computer for about $1000 that has computing power of the human brain." And by then, we've also come up with the algorithms that actually let us do something with all that computing power in an intelligent way. Then if you just follow that curve, in around 2100, say, you have a million human intelligences in a box, or in a speck, [laughs] however big it is, on your desk. It costs $500. We'll see if all that actually comes to pass. But I think around 2040, plus or minus ten years, you have human intelligence on a chip.

khanster

Postby DIss0n80r » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:09 pm

Humans are a cowardly lot who will gladly trade their individuality for the immortality promised by machine intelligence.
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby khanster » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:10 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

khanster

Postby khanster » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:54 pm

DIss0n80r wrote:Humans are a cowardly lot who will gladly trade their individuality for the immortality promised by machine intelligence.

If there is an aspect of consciousness that cannot be reproduced by computers then uploading your mind into a computational substrate would be equivalent to suicide. There would be a working copy of your brain but it would not actually be the real YOU...
khanster

Postby DIss0n80r » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:23 am

If such a non-computable aspect exists then YOU might be fine and dandy, and the machine version of YOU will just be another vehicle except with better bells and whistles.
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby khanster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:28 am

DIss0n80r wrote:If such a non-computable aspect exists then YOU might be fine and dandy, and the machine version of YOU will just be another vehicle except with better bells and whistles.

I plan on being a cyborg and upgrading. It will be great to walk on the moon with no need for a space suit :D
khanster

Postby DIss0n80r » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:27 am

I saw this movie once where a sex robot went haywire and became a serial rapist.
DIss0n80r

Next

Return to Questions that make you think...

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts