The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Questions that make you think...

"the truth shall set you free"...is a lie

In this forum, questions are asked which are really tough to answer. Some philosophical, some regarding morality and many others. Have fun, and post your own personal tough questions!

Postby at1with0 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:32 am

Call me crazy but I think "the truth shall set you free" is utter and complete bullshit. I am not free because of truth, in fact I'm closer to being a slave to truth than a free man because of truth. For example, suppose I have $100 in my bank account and I deposit $100. I am a slave to the fact that the bank will not let me withdraw $10,000; or if slavery is too hyperbolic for your tastes, then one might say I am bound by the truth.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby greeney2 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:50 am

So if you make that deposit, the truth is you now have $200 in the bank, but thinking you should be able to withdraw a penny more is living a lie. How much harder is it to live a lie, than to be free and content, accepting and admitting the truth, and knowing that $200 is yours? You become a prisoner to the lie, you act like you are entitled to the lie, and money you do not have.
greeney2

Postby at1with0 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:14 am

You are bound by the truth that there is $200, no more, no less, in the account.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby greeney2 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:44 am

Seems like a simple view of what is the truth, the fact having $200 is the only real actual truth of what actually is true. Yet on the other thread, the discussion is a long mathmatical or philisophical exchange where, hypothetical senerios, I was told I didn't belong. (not by you by the way).

We have many uses and meanings to that word truth. Truth tables in Math I have zero understanding of. Testifying the truth, whole truth, and nothing but the truth, Truth in philosophy, Truth as in lying, fiction vs. non-fiction in writing, sayings like "the moment of truth", or this one "The truth shall set you free", may have many meaning for many people.
greeney2

Postby DIss0n80r » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:02 pm

The truth can be perceived as both confining and liberating.
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby DIss0n80r » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:11 pm

greeney2 wrote:Seems like a simple view of what is the truth, the fact having $200 is the only real actual truth of what actually is true. Yet on the other thread, the discussion is a long mathmatical or philisophical exchange where, hypothetical senerios, I was told I didn't belong. (not by you by the way).

We have many uses and meanings to that word truth. Truth tables in Math I have zero understanding of. Testifying the truth, whole truth, and nothing but the truth, Truth in philosophy, Truth as in lying, fiction vs. non-fiction in writing, sayings like "the moment of truth", or this one "The truth shall set you free", may have many meaning for many people.

You are welcome in my thread if you will contribute more than mockery eg. equating philosophical inquiry as "hocus pocus" and whatnot.

I actually think your post here is a good one and agree with what you seem to express about truth being multifaceted or contextual. My thread is primarily intended to explore truth in abstract.
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby greeney2 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:57 am

If I could have written something that included 1-6, I'd fit right in. Next time I will make it hard to understand, so you won't be confused. :lol:

abstract
adj [ˈæbstrækt]
1. having no reference to material objects or specific examples; not concrete
2. not applied or practical; theoretical
3. hard to understand; recondite; abstruse
4. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Art Terms) denoting art characterized by geometric, formalized, or otherwise nonrepresentational qualities
5. defined in terms of its formal properties an abstract machine
6. (Philosophy) Philosophy (of an idea) functioning for some empiricists as the meaning of a general term the word ``man'' does not name all men but the abstract idea of manhood
n [ˈæbstrækt]
1. a condensed version of a piece of writing, speech, etc.; summary
2. an abstract term or idea
3. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Art Terms) an abstract painting, sculpture, etc.
in the abstract without reference to specific circumstances or practical experience
vb [æbˈstrækt] (tr)
1. to think of (a quality or concept) generally without reference to a specific example; regard theoretically
2. to form (a general idea) by abstraction
3. (also intr) to summarize or epitomize
4. to remove or extract
5. Euphemistic to steal
greeney2

Postby DIss0n80r » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:22 pm

:P
DIss0n80r

Postby khanster » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:45 pm

at1with0 wrote:Call me crazy but I think "the truth shall set you free" is utter and complete bullshit. I am not free because of truth, in fact I'm closer to being a slave to truth than a free man because of truth. For example, suppose I have $100 in my bank account and I deposit $100. I am a slave to the fact that the bank will not let me withdraw $10,000; or if slavery is too hyperbolic for your tastes, then one might say I am bound by the truth.

If you could understand the complete theory and "truth" about gravity it might be possible for you to build a machine that allows you to levitate effortlessly via an anti-gravity field.

In certain respects truth is liberating and knowledge is power.
khanster

Postby DIss0n80r » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:07 pm

When the machines take over, freedom will become irrelevant anyhow. They will decide what matters. It will ultimately be no different from the divine dictatorship of a supernatural God.

More power for the powerful.
DIss0n80r

Next

Return to Questions that make you think...

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts