The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

When does a watch come into existence

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby at1with0 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:07 pm

I should have said "should" instead of "Does" but you answered that, too.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby frrostedman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:52 pm

at1with0 wrote:I should have said "should" instead of "Does" but you answered that, too.

I like how I said "stage or prengancy" instead of "stage of pregnancy." I'm getting old. I'm slippin' ... :cry:
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby Island_Girl » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:51 pm

frrostedman wrote:
at1with0 wrote:I should have said "should" instead of "Does" but you answered that, too.

I like how I said "stage or prengancy" instead of "stage of pregnancy." I'm getting old. I'm slippin' ... :cry:

“Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

( I couldn't resist) ;)
Island_Girl

Postby frrostedman » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:20 am

Island_Girl wrote:
frrostedman wrote:

“Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

( I couldn't resist) ;)

Morbid.

Thanks. :cry:
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby bionic » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:08 am

at1with0 wrote:An analogy...

Suppose some one or some thing is making a watch.
At what point does that watch start existing?

The moment someone calls it a watch?

seriously..to me, it's at the point it begins to start counting time.. ticking..until then ..it's simply the formation of a watch..if it should break..after that..after it has been fully formed and up and running..then it is a broken watch
“Whether you sniff it smoke it eat it or shove it up your ass the result is the same: addiction.”
― William S. Burroughs
(love&forgive yourself..and everyone else)
bionic

Postby at1with0 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:49 am

A broken watch, eh?

A broken watch is a watch.

I wonder how that fits into my metaphor..
at1with0

Postby greeney2 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:00 pm

Bionic in every example you still called it a watch, so it must be a watch in every stage of building it, even if it is not a functioning watch yet. Many procucts designs and concepts, never made it past the drawing board, but they were still referred to, by what they would have been.
greeney2

Postby humphreys » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:29 am

At1, I think you are making this more complicated than it needs to be.

First, define "watch". Now, whenever whatever you have matches that definition, it is a watch. If it doesn't match, it is not a watch.

What's wrong with that?
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby at1with0 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:14 pm

Define watch.

Ask yourself what if I remove the hour hand. Is it still a watch?
at1with0

Postby humphreys » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:48 pm

You are the one who needs to define watch because you're asking the question of when a "watch" is a watch ;)

Once you have your definition, you have your answer, and if you still don't, then your definition is insufficient. For me, this is just a question of language rather than the deep philosophical question you are implying it is.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts