The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Questions that make you think...

define art ...

In this forum, questions are asked which are really tough to answer. Some philosophical, some regarding morality and many others. Have fun, and post your own personal tough questions!

Postby ricardo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:06 pm

I think it is expression or expressive linquistics ( communication)
subjective.

Begining to wonder if there's an conspiracy of art critics
a single photo bought in Germany ( not staged)
of a river bank for many hundreds of thousands of dollars.
aggrandizement for commercial purpose ?

people whom arrange the natural composition of nature- pose- stage.
I think are not true to the pure art form . land scape , people, etc...

education / perception must be by comparison, existing as/ an dichotomy .

to seek out composition will than be an effort... real work. what do you think?
ricardo

Postby greeney2 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:08 pm

Very good question Ricardo. Art comes in many forms from painting, sculpture,to any kind of creative design. They can be a intricate painting to something ridiculous splatter of paint I saw done by an Elephant holding a brush with his trunk.

When is art and art, and when is it no more than a simple craft anyone can learn? My wife used to have a goal of learning some new craft every year, and one year she said she was going to learn how to make Jewelery. I said, "no you can't your are not a jeweler", and I'm a welder still thinking she will never do this one. Well she sure did learn it, and taught herself most of it. She got into the hand crafting of silver jelelery, and as it progressed, I got into the casting end of jewelery making. Of course, much of it is your own creative visions in what you make, however the basic process is a craft, that can be learned.

Like we learned Jewelry making, many people learn the basics of painitng, working with water colors or oils, and how to create a scene on canvas. Others learn how to make pottery, a craft learned and a process of using machines and tools again. I also learned how to make stained glass for many years, again another learned craft.

Back to the question, Define Art? Your guess is as good as mine, where I see art as "any vision, transfered from the mind to a finished product" I see art as the end product of conbining vision with knowing the craft or medium to express it. Carpenters do it, welders do it, architects do it, they are create from the visions in thier minds. They use their minds to make their hands, create something on to to something, like a canvas, from clay, on a building, etc. etc.

How do you value art? The Mona Lisa is one of a kind, made by they great master and priceless, buy my stained glass train is also one of a kind?
Thomas Kincade is a terrific artist, and makes nature pictures of grand homes in the woods where he uses lighting to illuminate the windows for a homey and warm look. He makes several issues per year, makes Lithographs numbered and signed, and they are limited editions. (some are unlimited). He reproduces and manufactures his art, so is that considered art, when you compare it to Di Vinci? Kincade is an great artist, but is he not just a factory, massproducing a product? Why is what he does, any differnt from a $5 poster on a sheet of paper?

What is art, and what is a craft, is a good question. We seem to be confused on it many times when it comes to art, confusing something that looks pretty from real art. Artistic scenes on tins are very popular around the holidays, but when you boil it down, a fancy painted tin like you might find a gift tin of cookies in, has no more manufactuing value, than a beer can or can for any other product. Yet we pay a premium price for the artistic scene on the tin can. They become one more Knick Knack in the cupboard and we can not bring ourself to toss them in the trash, but have no more value than an empty coffee can.

What is art, go figure!
greeney2

Postby at1with0 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:31 pm

A simpler question which is already difficult to answer is what distinguishes poetry from prose.

god damn everything but the circus

Is that a poem?
EE Cummings (if memory serves) was a poet who considered that a poem.

Then again, I would say that some prose is artfully written.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby Island_Girl » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:02 pm

Ars Gratia Artis
Island_Girl

Postby bionic » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:29 am

everything is art
some peoples 'art' is other people's 'crap'
some people's 'crap' is other people's 'art'
anything that moves you mentally or emotionally is art
and for some people(liek me, for isntance)..that includes everything
the good, the bad, the ugly
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby Lightwolf » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:36 pm

bionic wrote:everything is art
some peoples 'art' is other people's 'crap'
some people's 'crap' is other people's 'art'
anything that moves you mentally or emotionally is art
and for some people(like me, for instance)..that includes everything
the good, the bad, the ugly

Nicely said bionic,
That would also include anything anyone does well....and with purpose...for some "Charm" is an art and used for one purpose..
for others it might be knowledge...obtaining knowledge can be an art, as well as being lazy working for nothing at all...
lets just say art is part of who and what we are as humans...part and parcel for what we give or recieve..
Those that see differently than others are sometimes termed artists because no one else understands

I know how that feels..to be termed "different" and yet I am an artist...What I see...I can reproduce on paper....however...no matter how well I draw...reality is much harsher than what I see...

an artist has control over the canvas and what is created there..but that is all an artist can do...create the beauty of ones mind..

Politics is also an art..an art of deception...lies...how to lie staring one in the face...cruelty, deception, cheating....

I prefer MY art...one of hope

Lightwolf
When I die...I want to go peacefully in my sleep...like my Grandfather did...not screaming like the passengers in his car.
Lightwolf

Postby bionic » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:32 am

I prefer MY art...one of hope

Nice!!
:thumbup:
Willie Wonka quotes..
Why? Are you having fun?
bionic

Postby adamwarlock2099 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:44 am

For me it whatever appeals to the sense it was intended to. A woman's body unadulterated by clothes, makeup, tattoos, etc is a work of art to my eyes. Some people however think tattoos on a woman's body is art. Ugh.

A real Mexican dish made by a Mexican person is a work of art to my nose and tastes. (Cause while people just can't make good Mexican food. Ha!)

A woman in well designed clothes and shoes/boots is a work of art, she has created herself.

Bettie Page in every way was a living breathing work of art. Sigh.

What was it Jayne said .... "I'll be in my bunk."?

:shock:
"To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
"You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)
adamwarlock2099

Postby greeney2 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:34 pm

How sad, having talked about Thomas Kindcade in this thread, he passed away today in San Francisco. News said he died of natural causes, and that his art work makes about $100M per year. Island Girl posted his news artical in the general forum.
greeney2

Postby bionic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:39 am

I saw that
:cry:
his work is so lovely
Willie Wonka quotes..
Why? Are you having fun?
bionic

Next

Return to Questions that make you think...

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts