The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Sci-Fi TV/Movies

Prometheus

Sci-Fi has amazed audiences since the dawn of television and movies. Come on in to chat about anything and everything Science Fiction.

Postby event_horizon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:41 pm

Here's the new full length trailer. I didn't embed it because you can't click on full screen view when it's embedded (why is that anyway?). This has to be viewed on full screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHcHYisZFLU

Pure awesomeness. :dance:
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby WarAngel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:33 am

Ok who else saw the live looking Space Jockey? :thumbup:

Also I'm wondering if the distress beacon detected by the crew in the first film was sent by Prometheus crew members. :think: Previously all we had to go on was the Space Jockey's but that seems unlikely now in light of them planning to go to Earth.
What if it were true?
WarAngel

Postby event_horizon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Which Space Jockey scene are you referring to? Can't miss those. 8-) There was actually 4 very brief flashes of the Space Jockey. One of them was in the biomechanical suit in the pilot's chair; another when it looks like it's activating the pilot's chair; one where it's walking towards the pilot's chair; and another one where it's standing over Elizabeth Shaw, but you can only see its legs.

It could very well end up being the Prometheus crew that sets off that beacon. It'll be interesting to see if the crew makes it off the planet.....sadly, they'll probably end up being stranded there to die.

And here's yet another new trailer from WonderCon, with even more new scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_B-mqcNa1A

*salivating* over the release of this movie. :drool:
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby event_horizon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Interesting Q&A with Ridley Scott on Prometheus:

http://www.livestream.com/prometheus
event_horizon

Postby WarAngel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:57 am

Good video. :thumbup:

My personal explanation for why Prometheus and Nostromo look different is that they serve different functions. The first seems to be a science ship so it would obviously need higher tech. The Nostromo was a mining vessel. It wouldn't need all the high tech stuff, just enough to "get the job done." So tv style monitors would be easier and cheaper than adding unnecessary tech.
What if it were true?
WarAngel

Postby event_horizon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:02 am

I'd like to think of it that way. :) But it probably has a lot more to do with the fact that one was made in 1979 on a much lower budget, and the other was made in 2011 with money to burn.
event_horizon

Postby WarAngel » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:11 am

Some images I found on the Xenopedia Space Jockey entry.
The second is VERY interesting. Look in the lower left corner.

What if it were true?
WarAngel

Postby event_horizon » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:43 am

They look nothing like what their biomechanical suits might suggest they do. They just look like really big humans...kinda like the aliens from 'Battlefield: Earth' without the dreadlocks.

I guess if the suits are literally biomechanical, then it would sort of merge with the biological wearer...rendering them one with each other. That's probably why when they find the Bone Ship in 'Alien', the Space Jockey looks just like the suit -- sort of decomposing together.
event_horizon

Postby WarAngel » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:08 am

This probably also explains why the giant head statue looks like a Human instead of anything else. :think:

They seem to be moving away from the "growing out of the chair" comment Dallas makes and the ship not being as old as assumed. I would have prefered keeping in line with the old ideas but this direction could be even better. Plus we have to remember the Nostromo crew could only guess what had happened. In addition to Prometheus not even being thought of yet. This is the bad side of prequels, having to fit into established things later in the timeline.

Although it's not 100% certain that both ships are the same one. It seems like the could be setting us up for a twist where there were two and the one of this film is completely destroyed. Might help to explain why the planet looks vastly different from this film and alien. This one lacks the wind storms and perpetual night of the original.

Now that I looked over the Prometheus wiki article I'm wondering if it's even the same planet LV-426. :?: Is there any word on this? I know they're using the same star system (Zeta II Reticuli). Perhaps this planet is a different of from Alien/Aliens and is the "main base." LV-426 could be where the Space Jockeys crashed a ship many years ago and just never bothered to do anything with the ship. Kinda like "let's leave the thing alone so we don't get attacked in case an egg hatches."
What if it were true?
WarAngel

Postby event_horizon » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:21 am

That's a very good point. The atmosphere of that planet doesn't look quite like LV-426, but the terrain does. LV-426 couldn't be perpetual night though. Remember when Newt says "they mostly come at night, mostly," and she and Ripley are looking at the sun going down. It just looked dark because it was really cloudy from the atmosphere processor I guess. And when the crew from 'Alien' landed they must have landed at night.

It could still be the same planet on a really good weather day.

You could be right though...maybe LV-426 was another planet that had nothing to do with us, and was just a botched mission. It's an interesting thought.
event_horizon

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-Fi TV/Movies

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts