The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

What is Right & Wrong, Our Laws, and what are Sins?

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby greeney2 » Sat May 16, 2009 8:31 pm

Give your definition of each one and tell how they are different to you.
greeney2

Postby Dark-Samus » Sun May 17, 2009 3:41 am

Murder is a sin whatever your beliefs might be.
I don´t care what Islam or whatever calls their pathetic agendas to excuse themselves but murder is murder and nothing else.
Specially when the innocent are killed.
There is nothing about a greater calling or coming closer to God by killing the innocent.

That´s what I think is a sin and wrong.
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby Illuminati » Tue May 19, 2009 10:56 pm

greeney2 wrote:Give your definition of each one and tell how they are different to you.

The definition of Right in from Dictionary.com is:

Right:
1. in accordance with what is good, proper, or just: right conduct.
2. in conformity with fact, reason, truth, or some standard or principle; correct: the right solution; the right answer.
3. correct in judgment, opinion, or action.
4. fitting or appropriate; suitable: to say the right thing at the right time.
5. most convenient, desirable, or favorable: Omaha is the right location for a meatpacking firm.
6. of, pertaining to, or located on or near the side of a person or thing that is turned toward the east when the subject is facing north (opposed to left ).
7. in a satisfactory state; in good order: to put things right.
8. sound, sane, or normal: to be in one's right mind; She wasn't right in her head when she made the will.
9. in good health or spirits: I don't feel quite right today.
10. principal, front, or upper: the right side of cloth.
11. (often initial capital letter) of or pertaining to political conservatives or their beliefs.
12. socially approved, desirable, or influential: to go to the right schools and know the right people.
13. formed by or with reference to a perpendicular: a right angle.
14. straight: a right line.
15. Geometry. having an axis perpendicular to the base: a right cone.
16. Mathematics. pertaining to an element of a set that has a given property when placed on the right of an element or set of elements of the given set: a right identity.
17. genuine; authentic: the right owner.
–noun
18. a just claim or title, whether legal, prescriptive, or moral: You have a right to say what you please.
19. Sometimes, rights. that which is due to anyone by just claim, legal guarantees, moral principles, etc.: women's rights; Freedom of speech is a right of all Americans.
20. adherence or obedience to moral and legal principles and authority.
21. that which is morally, legally, or ethically proper: to know right from wrong.
22. a moral, ethical, or legal principle considered as an underlying cause of truth, justice, morality, or ethics.
23. Sometimes, rights. the interest or ownership a person, group, or business has in property: He has a 50-percent right in a silver mine. The author controls the screen rights for the book.
24. the property itself or its value.
25. Finance.
a. the privilege, usually preemptive, that accrues to the owners of the stock of a corporation to subscribe to additional shares of stock or securities convertible into stock at an advantageous price.
b. Often, rights. the privilege of subscribing to a specified amount of a stock or bond issue, or the document certifying this privilege.
26. that which is in accord with fact, reason, propriety, the correct way of thinking, etc.
27. the state or quality or an instance of being correct.
28. the side that is normally opposite to that where the heart is; the direction toward that side: to turn to the right.
29. a right-hand turn: Make a right at the top of the hill.
30. the portion toward the right, as of troops in battle formation: Our right crumbled.
31. (in a pair) the member that is shaped for, used by, or situated on the right side: Is this shoe a left or a right?
32. the right hand: Jab with your left and punch with your right.
33. the Right,
a. the complex of individuals or organized groups opposing change in a liberal direction and usually advocating maintenance of the established social, political, or economic order, sometimes by authoritarian means.
b. the position held by these people: The Depression led to a movement away from the Right. Compare left 1 (defs. 6a, b).
c. right wing.
34. (usually initial capital letter) the part of a legislative assembly, esp. in continental Europe, that is situated on the right side of the presiding officer and that is customarily assigned to members of the legislature who hold more conservative or reactionary views than the rest of the members.
35. the members of such an assembly who sit on the Right.
36. Boxing. a blow delivered by the right hand: a right to the jaw.
37. Baseball. right field.
–adverb
38. in a straight or direct line; straight; directly: right to the bottom; to come right home.
39. quite or completely; all the way: My hat was knocked right off.
40. immediately; promptly: right after dinner.
41. exactly; precisely: right here.
42. correctly or accurately: to guess right.
43. uprightly or righteously: to obey one's conscience and live right.
44. properly or fittingly: to behave right.
45. advantageously, favorably, or well: to turn out right.
46. toward the right hand; on or to the right: to keep right; to turn right.
47. Informal. very; extremely: a right fine day.
48. very (used in certain titles): the right reverend.
–verb (used with object)
49. to put in or restore to an upright position: to right a fallen lamp.
50. to put in proper order, condition, or relationship: to right a crookedly hung picture.
51. to bring into conformity with fact; correct: to right one's point of view.
52. to do justice to; avenge: to be righted in court.
53. to redress, as a wrong.
–verb (used without object)
54. to resume an upright or the proper position: After the storm the saplings righted.
—Idioms
55. by rights, in fairness; justly: You should by rights have been asked your opinion on the matter.
56. in one's own right, by reason of one's own ability, ownership, etc.; in or of oneself, as independent of others: He is a rich man in his own right.
57. in the right, having the support of reason or law; correct: It pays to be stubborn when one is in the right.
58. right and left, on every side; in all directions: throwing his clothes right and left; members resigning right and left.
59. right away or off, without hesitation; immediately: She made a good impression right off.
60. right on, Slang. exactly right; precisely.
61. too right, Australian Slang.
a. (used as an expression of emphatic agreement.)
b. okay: “Can we meet tonight?” “Too right.”
62. to rights, into proper condition or order: to set a room to rights.

Dictionary.com defines Wrong as:

Wrong:
–adjective
1. not in accordance with what is morally right or good: a wrong deed.
2. deviating from truth or fact; erroneous: a wrong answer.
3. not correct in action, judgment, opinion, method, etc., as a person; in error: You are wrong to blame him.
4. not proper or usual; not in accordance with requirements or recommended practice: the wrong way to hold a golf club.
5. out of order; awry; amiss: Something is wrong with the machine.
6. not suitable or appropriate: He always says the wrong thing.
7. (of clothing) that should be worn or kept inward or under: You're wearing the sweater wrong side out.
–noun
8. that which is wrong, or not in accordance with morality, goodness, or truth; evil: I committed many wrongs.
9. an injustice: The wrongs they suffered aged them.
10. Law.
a. an invasion of another's right, to his damage.
b. a tort.
–adverb
11. in a wrong manner; not rightly; awry; amiss: You did it wrong again.
–verb (used with object)
12. to do wrong to; treat unfairly or unjustly; harm.
13. to impute evil to (someone) unjustly; malign.
—Idioms
14. get in wrong, Slang. to cause to come into disfavor: We are forever getting in wrong with the people next door.
15. go wrong,
a. to go amiss; fail: Everything is going wrong today.
b. to pursue an immoral course; become depraved: Bad friends caused him to go wrong.
16. in the wrong, to blame; in error: He knew he was in the wrong but refused to concede the point.

Our Laws, on a Federal Level are found here: United States Constitution

For your state, please finda link on your State's website which can show you your state laws.

Sin, according to the Greek mean hammartiawhich translates literally to miss the mark. The reference is to that of a bowman who is not able to hit the direct center of his target. When one sins, it is not always some burden which has to be shrugged and purged due to the consequences of Hell Fire and brimstone, but a falling short of the projected ideal of what we are to be, a Son or Daughter of God. In essence we have missed the mark. This is a definition of sin.
Illuminati

Postby greeney2 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:59 pm

Wasn't quite what I was asking for Illuminati.
greeney2

Postby Nesaie » Wed May 20, 2009 12:13 am

Illuminati wrote:
Sin, according to the Greek mean hammartiawhich translates literally to miss the mark. The reference is to that of a bowman who is not able to hit the direct center of his target. When one sins, it is not always some burden which has to be shrugged and purged due to the consequences of Hell Fire and brimstone, but a falling short of the projected ideal of what we are to be, a Son or Daughter of God. In essence we have missed the mark. This is a definition of sin.

Oooh, I've heard this definition once before...in college by an ex-Monk (Roman Catholic Jesuit). I knew this and forgot about it...and it sounds so profound today again. I also remember the "rosy fingered dawn" from that man...and walking in the Spring grass barefoot.

Thank you for reminding me. :D
Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen... - Zbigniew Brezhinsky
Nesaie

Postby Dark-Samus » Wed May 20, 2009 3:14 am

Greeney was asking for your own definition about right and wrong.
Not what books or people says.
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby Nesaie » Wed May 20, 2009 8:34 am

Dark-Samus wrote:Greeney was asking for your own definition about right and wrong.
Not what books or people says.

So?
Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen... - Zbigniew Brezhinsky
Nesaie

Postby pandasex » Wed May 20, 2009 9:46 am

I think that’s the best Q I have ever seen here

I had to look up what the opposite of sin was and definition of sin before I could properly answer. Apparently, it is strictly a religious term. So I don’t believe in sin.
Now right and wrong are a matter of pure perspective. To me (and only my perspective). Right is to help others or think of the good and well being of others. The teachings of Buddha have a lot to show in the “right” manners in dealing with the good of others. (I myself read but I would not go as far as to say I “practice”. But I think they have some very good examples. I don’t think that it is wrong to kill out of self defense or certain crimes. I think all sex offenders who commit rape should be killed. (Buddhism would say different on killing). Murders should be killed. This would take me all night to put everything but im writing off the top of my head. If you are not harming another person directly and only yourself I am indifferent to it. Drugs for example…..you hold a job pay your bills don’t care if you are using drugs. But at the same time I don’t believe anyone should use drugs around children. I don’t even drink in front of mine let alone anything crazy. But that is because my job at that moment is to take care of them. Sex….anything goes as long as it doesn’t involve anyone under 18 or animals. If they cannot make a conscious decision they should not be involved. Beside those too any consenting party should be allowed to do what they wish; not my business.

“Freedom is a two-edged sword of which one edge is liberty and the other, responsibility. Both edges are exceedingly sharp and the weapon is not suited to casual, cowardly or treacherous hands.”
-Jack Parsons
BURNING MAN, burning man, BuRnInG mAn,
pandasex

Postby adamwarlock2099 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:48 pm

I think right and wrong is different for every person. I can't really define to you what I think is right and wrong, but perhaps I can when I explain what I say to my sons when they ask me something.

I explain to them why I don't like a particular act or thing. I don't want to tell them that something is absolutly wrong, even something like murder. I explain to them why murder is not an acceptable thing to do, because someone's life is not another person's to take. I never really want to use the word wrong. It denotes that I am placing something on my sons that is not my right to do so. Because I don't believe that there are exceptions, I have to lump it all together, from murder to something as controversial as homosexuality. I can't say one is right or wrong, and the other is his choice to make, because they are all his choices to make. Say something is wrong or right doesn't instill what one would want to, without explaining what makes something acceptable or not. And that, again, changes for every person. At least that is how I look at it.

As far as sin. I think the word is just used for man to judge other men. I think it really has no relevance as a teaching tool. But what Illuminati posted was a fair meaning. But again that denotes that someone has to ascertain that another fell from the mark. And I don't think that anyone really has the ability to do that. It's too judgmental.

Rather than say someone missed the mark, highlighting the negative of the situation, why not tell them they did the best they can, and the harder they try the closer they can get to reaching their own goal. We humans tend to point out other people's lives as if they were our own. It's not ours to tell someone how they fell short of their own goals based on our own.
"To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
"You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)
adamwarlock2099

Postby adamwarlock2099 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:02 pm

I forgot laws. Laws are pretty much as far from what is percieved as "right" and "wrong" that is ridiculous. Laws are made on assumptions as to what is "right" and "wrong". But who is that makes these decision on this basis. Men?

For instance, murder is wrong. However abortion and capital punishment are acceptable. Am I to tell my sons then that murder is wrong, but there are exceptions, just because US government law says so? No. I tell him why I think all murder is unacceptable. It's his choice to decide if he agrees with me or not.

Law is one of those things that has good intentions but doesn't always deliver for the benefit of all involved.
"To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
"You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)
adamwarlock2099

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts