The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

A Dear John Letter

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby blackvault » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:54 am

Well, I would say, that if the board is working properly, but the only factor you give it is time, and then you are logged out, that's because of security reasons. My servers are programmed to time a cookie out, so it doesn't stay indefinitely. If you login from a public terminal, walk away for a day, week, or month, and others use the computer, that cookie will stay live, and they would have access to your account. So I programmed it not to do that.

Now, I do allow the option to stay logged in, or be logged in on each visit. So, my server will program the cookie for your computer, and keep you logged in. That's what I do, because no one else uses my computer.

If you are using that feature, and are still logged out after a day or so, my guess is you have software, like a Norton, Mcaffee, AVG, or another type of security program or firewall, that expires all cookies automatically for their own "security" reasons, which is, of course, out of my control.

I hope that explains a bit more. Cookie problems are a tough thing to diagnose, because each computer is different, each browsers security is set different, and each security / anti-virus / firewall is different.

Let me know if the problem, other than outlined/explained above, persists.
-----
John Greenewald, Jr.
The Black Vault Website Owner / Operator
http://www.theblackvault.com
blackvault

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:32 pm

I've had worse issues than this, I'll cope. :lol: I wouldn't even bother with IE if not for the lack of Flash Player 11 support in Firefox for Vista x64. :cry:

Postby blackvault » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:10 pm

In regards to the avatar problem, so I understand it... you have a 90x90 avatar, and upon upload, it gets shrinked? The size is a global setting, but I want to make sure... so if you can email me the avatar (try and upload it again, make sure it's 90x90... and if it gets shrinked...) sent it to john@greenewald.com and I will login to your account and try and replicate it...

Thank you so much... and I am sorry for the troubles, but hope we can get it all figured out.
-----
John Greenewald, Jr.
blackvault

Postby frrostedman » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:07 am

Yep, I just came here and went straight to the bv main page. It recognized me. But I came to the forum and alas, I was "guest" and not logged in. Oh well, I have a work around, but, just thought there was something that could be done. No prob. My cookies are permanent on all sites but here, they do not ever expire. But still, it's ok. It's surely an IE9 thing.

As far as the avatar. My avatar was bigger than 90x90. But when I upload it, I am given a window to take a snapshot of the avatar to use. That window is 64x64, so, it doesn't matter what size my avatar is, it could be 1280x1024... but the snapshot window bv supplies--which I have no control over--is 64x64 no matter what I do. I've experiment with about 10 different sized avatars to make sure. It makes no difference. :)
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby blackvault » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:18 am

If you are using the cropping tool, that sounds like you're in the main site, which can have a different avatar than on the board here.

Try to change your avatar here:

ucp.php?i=profile&mode=avatar

And change the dimensions to 90 x 90 in the box, and re-upload your avatar.

See if that works.
-----
John Greenewald, Jr.
blackvault

Postby frrostedman » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:16 pm

blackvault wrote:If you are using the cropping tool, that sounds like you're in the main site, which can have a different avatar than on the board here.

Try to change your avatar here:

ucp.php?i=profile&mode=avatar

And change the dimensions to 90 x 90 in the box, and re-upload your avatar.

See if that works.

Worked perfectly and yes I was doing everything from the main page. Excellent advice, worked like a charm. Thanks!!!

And now... my avatar TOWERS over yours. Don't you feel emasculated? :lol:
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby frrostedman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:22 pm

John,

Not sure what you did, but my login has stayed active for several days in a row now. Thanks a bunch for all your help.
frrostedman

Postby frrostedman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:43 pm

And no sooner did I say that when.....

I just went to the religious forum. And I typed up a long reply post, and clicked submit. The BV sat their, spinning, for about 30 seconds, and finally came back saying I have to LOG IN. Yep. My login died. I logged in, went back to the forum, and yep, I was logged out again. Logged back in, and that didn't take. Logged in again, and nope.

So I had to go to the main page, and even though it recognized me, I had to log out, then log back in. After that, I'm able to post again. Meanwhile I lost my religious forum post in all the fray. :wall:
frrostedman

Postby greeney2 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:13 am

If I leave the computer logged in and still on the Internet explorer, and come back a few hours later, I can not log back in as the session expires from lack of activity, I think. I have to click out of explorer completly, and open it again so I can log in again from the BV homepage.

By the way, what happened to Rykuss? His name turned into Guest, so wondered if he accidently unregistered or if something happened concerning his log in to cause it. He has not posted in several days, and was in the support forum, and this one about log in problems.
greeney2

Postby frrostedman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:32 am

greeney2 wrote:If I leave the computer logged in and still on the Internet explorer, and come back a few hours later, I can not log back in as the session expires from lack of activity, I think. I have to click out of explorer completly, and open it again so I can log in again from the BV homepage.

By the way, what happened to Rykuss? His name turned into Guest, so wondered if he accidently unregistered or if something happened concerning his log in to cause it. He has not posted in several days, and was in the support forum, and this one about log in problems.

Don't know what happened. He was posting as guest for a while.. went on a few angry rants... and never heard from him again. :?
frrostedman

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts