The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Archbishop recants apology over sex abuse

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby zoltan2 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:33 am

Subject: Archbishop recants apology over sex abuse....i.e. the Vatican practices
pedophilia and wealth accumulation while preaching the opposite, nice deception
to hide one's dirt!

By Steve M., No More Mister Nice Blog
Posted on February 8, 2012

http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews/?i ... g_wrong%22

http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews/?i ... g_wrong%22

Who's the worst person in the world? Right now I'd have to say it's this guy:

In 2002, at the height of the outcry over the sexual abuse of minors by Roman
Catholic priests, the Archbishop of New York, Edward M. Egan, issued a letter to
be read at Mass.

In it, he offered an apology about the church's handling of sex-abuse cases in
New York and in Bridgeport, Conn., where he was previously posted....

Now, 10 years later and in retirement, Cardinal Egan has taken back his apology.

In a interview with Connecticut magazine published on the magazine's Web site
last week, a surprisingly frank Cardinal Egan said of the apology,

"I never should have said that," and added, "I don't think we did anything
wrong."

He said many more things in the interview, some of them seemingly at odds with
the facts.

He repeatedly denied that any sex abuse had occurred on his watch in Bridgeport.

He said that even now, the church in Connecticut had no obligation to report
sexual abuse accusations to the authorities. (A law on the books since the 1970s
says otherwise.)

And he described the Bridgeport diocese's handling of sex-abuse cases as
"incredibly good." ...

That's from Andy Newman at The New York Times, who's clearly trying to find a
judicious, objective-sounding way of telling us that Cardinal Egan is a lying,
evil SOB.

Go to the Connecticut magazine interview and you'll see that same point being
made by interviewer Tom Connor with no punches pulled:

Ten years ago this spring, the sexual abuse crisis involving hundreds of Roman
Catholic priests and thousands of young victims broke nationally in the media,
engulfing dioceses from Boston to Los Angeles but also the Diocese of
Bridgeport, where 23 lawsuits against seven local priests were working their way
through the courts.

Three years earlier, however, this magazine had reported on long-standing and
widespread abuses in the diocese ("Gods and Monsters,"May 1999; link opens a
.pdf of the original story), then under the leadership of Bishop Edward Egan.

In that article, Egan was portrayed as a wily, coldly-calculating defender of
the Church and abusive priests, more corporate lawyer than spiritual guardian.

The article revealed that he had let accused priests continue to work in local
parishes, authorized payments to victims in exchange for silence agreements, and
lied about those payments during a deposition....

And that indignation extends to the interview, as it appears on the site.

Here's the cardinal claiming he just cleaned up his predecessor's mess, and did
it so skillfully there were no further incidents -- which turns out not to be
quite accurate:

EGAN: You know, I never had one of these sex abuse cases, either in Bridgeport
or here (New York). Not one.... I took care of them one by one. None of them did
anything wrong. One of them spent four years in treatment at the Institute of
Living in Hartford.

I investigated this and at the end I put him in a convent as an assistant
chaplain in Danbury. Only once did I not use the Institute of the Living -- I
used Johns Hopkins because the man was in Baltimore.

CT Magazine: You mean Laurence Brett (a serial molester who was cycled through
eight parishes in the diocese and a family of ten in California before
relocating to Maryland, where he was accused of abusing more boys.

He was still on the run from the FBI when he died in the Caribbean in 2010).

EGAN: Yep. I sent him to the most expensive place and I did exactly what we were
told to do. And as a result, not one of them (the accused priests) did a thing
out of line....

The interview is all like that: Egan claiming nothing bad happened on his watch,
arrogantly denying any responsibility for suffering, whining about the fact that
people still ask him about this, and displaying not an ounce of compassion or
empathy for the victims.

Oh, and did I mention this?

Leslie Lothstein ... a psychologist at the Institute of Living, in Hartford, has
treated about 300 Roman Catholic priests, not only those with sexual problems,
but also those with alcoholism, depression and other mental illnesses....

He unwittingly found himself in the news almost 10 years ago, when it was
reported that the Catholic Church had sent priests to the Institute of Living
for treatment without always telling the doctors the full details of the
priests' transgressions....

What's more, the Catholic hierarchy often ignored the institute's
recommendations about the priests' fitness for service.

"I found that they rarely followed our recommendations," Dr. Lothstein told The
Hartford Courant in 2002.

"They would put them back into work where they still had access to vulnerable
populations." ...

And these priests are the people who lecture us about morality because we
support abortion rights, or gay marriage, or full access to birth control.
zoltan2

Postby at1with0 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:35 am

zoltan2 wrote:And these priests are the people who lecture us about morality because we
support abortion rights, or gay marriage, or full access to birth control.

The agenda rears its head here.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby CodeBlackv2 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Recanting used to get you burned at the stake. :angel:
CodeBlackv2

Postby bionic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:13 am

what a piece of sht
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby zoltan2 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:41 am

bionic wrote:

what a piece of sht

That is the clergy for you.
zoltan2

Postby zoltan2 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:50 am

In the United States alone so think of the proportion around the world

The 2004 John Jay Report commissioned by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) was based on surveys completed by the Roman Catholic dioceses in the United States. The surveys filtered provided information from diocesan files on each priest accused of sexual abuse and on each of the priest's victims to the research team, in a format which did not disclose the names of the accused priests or the dioceses where they worked. The dioceses were encouraged to issue reports of their own based on the surveys that they had completed.

The 2004 John Jay Report[14] was based on a study of 10,667 allegations against 4,392 priests accused of engaging in sexual abuse of a minor between 1950 and 2002.

The report stated there were approximately 10,667 reported victims (younger than 18 years) of clergy sexual abuse during this period:

Around 81 percent of these victims were male.
22.6% were age 10 or younger, 51% were between the ages of 11 and 14, and 27% were between the ages to 15 to 17 years.[15][16][17]
A substantial number (almost 2000) of very young children were victimized by priests during this time period.
9,281 victim surveys had information about an investigation. In 6,696 (72%) cases, an investigation of the allegation was carried out. Of these, 4,570 (80%) were substantiated; 1,028 (18%) were unsubstantiated; 83 (1.5%) were found to be false. In 56 cases, priests were reported to deny the allegations.
More than 10 percent of these allegations were characterized as not substantiated. (This does not mean that the allegation was false; it means only that the diocese or order could not determine whether the alleged abuse actually took place.)
For approximately 20 percent of the allegations, the priest was deceased or inactive at the time of the receipt of the allegation and typically no investigation was conducted in these circumstances.
In 38.4% of allegations, the abuse is alleged to have occurred within a single year, in 21.8% the alleged abuse lasted more than a year but less than 2 years, in 28% between 2 and 4 years, in 10.2% between 5 and 9 years and, in under 1%, 10 or more years.

The 4,392 priests who were accused amount to approximately 4% of the 109,694 priests in active ministry during that time. Of these 4,392, approximately:

56 percent had one reported allegation against them; 27 percent had two or three allegations against them; nearly 14 percent had four to nine allegations against them; 3 percent (149 priests) had 10 or more allegations against them. These 149 priests were responsible for almost 3,000 victims, or 27 percent of the allegations.[15]
The allegations were substantiated for 1,872 priests and unsubstantiated for 824 priests. They were thought to be credible for 1,671 priests and not credible for 345 priests. 298 priests and deacons who had been completely exonerated are not included in the study.
50 percent were 35 years of age or younger at the time of the first instance of alleged abuse.[15]
Almost 70 percent were ordained before 1970.[15]
Fewer than 7 percent were reported to have themselves been victims of physical, sexual or emotional abuse as children. Although 19 percent had alcohol or substance abuse problems, 9 percent were reported to have been using drugs or alcohol during the instances of abuse.[15]

Many of the reported acts of sexual abuse involved fondling or unspecified abuse. There was also a large number of allegations of forced acts of oral sex and intercourse. Detailed information on the nature of the abuse was not reported for 26.6% of the reported allegations. 27.3% of the allegations involved the cleric performing oral sex on the victim. 25.1% of the allegations involved penile penetration or attempted penetration.

Although there were reported acts of sexual abuse of minors in every year, the incidence of reported abuse increased by several orders of magnitude in the 1960s and 1970s. There was, for example, a more than sixfold increase in the number of reported acts of abuse of males aged 11 to 17 between the 1950s and the 1970s. After peaking in the 1970s, the number of incidents decreased through the 1980s and 1990s even more sharply than the incidence rate had increased in the 1960s and 1970s.

And some stupid idiots want priests to keep their confession confidentiality and not challenge the church
zoltan2

Postby at1with0 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:31 am

zoltan2 wrote:
bionic wrote:

what a piece of sht

That is the clergy for you.

lmao
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby CodeBlackv2 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:04 pm

At least none of the current presidential candidates is a papist. Can't say that about Congress. But we may be near the end times for the RCC. If Jesus were here today he would say, WTF is this crap? Him, Galileo and Da Vinci would be naked in the back seat of a limo, eating sushi and drinking champagne. :pray: :angel:
CodeBlackv2

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:50 am

CodeBlackv2 wrote:At least none of the current presidential candidates is a papist. Can't say that about Congress. But we may be near the end times for the RCC. If Jesus were here today he would say, WTF is this crap? Him, Galileo and Da Vinci would be naked in the back seat of a limo, eating sushi and drinking champagne. :pray: :angel:

:lol:

Postby CodeBlackv2 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:19 pm

I admit I stole that line.

On a more sour note, I was reading the 500 year old manuscript of my ancestor's trial by the Inquisition again and what do you know, there was talk of priests abusing children even back then. Unbelievable that it has been allowed to go on for so long! Seems like most of the "witnesses" in the trial were gay and had been accused of abusing boys, which is why the RCC thought they would make perfect witnesses. Reading the manuscript, you quickly realize that when the Inquisition came calling you either put them on to someone else or you would become their target. My ancestor refused to implicate anyone so they put him on trial.
CodeBlackv2

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts