The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

"The Big Valley" star Peter Breck Dies

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby greeney2 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:56 pm

'Big Valley' star Peter Breck dead at age 82
Associated Press – Fri, Feb 10, 2012Related ContentEnlarge PhotoIn this 1965 file photo originally released by ABC, Peter Breck, right, is shown …
Mr. Breck lived just down the block from us where I live, quite a few years ago. We went to several of his garage sales over the years, really a nice man. He also was the honorary Mayor of our city for years. Everytime we pass his house, we think about him.

NEW YORK (AP) — The actor who played a son of ranch owner Barbara Stanwyck on the 1960s Western "The Big Valley," has died. Peter Breck was 82.

Breck died Monday in Vancouver, British Columbia, after a long illness, his wife, Diane, announced on the website The Big Valley Writing Desk.

A native of Haverhill, Mass., Breck was also a regular on the TV Westerns "Maverick" and "Black Saddle." He had guest roles on series from the 1950s through the early 2000s including "Perry Mason," ''The Virginian" and "Fantasy Island."

His film appearances include "Thunder Road," ''I Want to Live!" and "Benji."

Breck was best known for his role as hot-tempered rancher Nick Barkley on "The Big Valley," which aired from 1965 to 1969.

He and his wife were longtime Vancouver residents.
greeney2

Postby frrostedman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:27 am

He was my favorite character... really liked him. I hope he's in a better place and we'll sure miss him.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby greeney2 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:37 am

Mr. Breck moved out of our area quite a few years ago, I presume he lived in Bristish Columbia after he lived here. His home near me was only 2 blocks down our cross street to a street called Whiteoak, about a 5 mnute walk. We all live in what they call RA property, which is zoned rural/agriculture where we can all have horses and farm animals. This part of the San Fernando Valley was all like that at one time, all was for rural living, and built on old oragnge groves. Most lots they retained many of the orange trees. Mr. Brecks property was one of the larger lots, I think they are more like 1-2 acres, with about a 3 to 4000 sq ft home. It was a very nice place, but nothing you would clasify as a mansion. In Los Angles these are called Ranch style homes. In those years people rode their horses all around, there were many lots and places to ride, but it is all built up now, mostly all residential. Over the years we have had to fight and fight to keep our zoning, as developers wanted to buy out the bigger lots, tear them down and squeeze condominium projects on them.

We no longer have our horses, they lived long lives and passed away here. At one time we had 2 horses, chickens, some geese, our dogs and cats. OUr back yard was set up like an riding arena. Nobody on our block has horses anymore, but we are still allowed if we wanted to, our corrals are empty. I'm sure Mr. Breck got tired of being pushed out, and he left for green fields and "valleys". He was a TV star, but just a regular guy off the screen. He was one who was lucky, made it big in a hit western that still runs today, and fans always loved him. I think Mr. Breck was smart, invested when he had money in his home, and planned to let the money he made when it was his moment, work for him.

To be honest, when Big Valley was a show, before we moved into this neighborhood, I never watched the show very often. He was a very nice man whenever we saw him at his garage sales.
greeney2

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts