The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

prayer ...

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby ricardo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:00 pm

at1with0 wrote:A lot of prayer is wishful thinking. If God is all that it is cracked up to be, then it already knows all of your wants and needs before you utter a prayer.

Magical thinking can become a detriment to "functioning" if you let society define you.

I don't think of god as an " it " nor babies in the womb. they existed before

during and after their sentiant birth.

whatever is detrimental to ' normal' functioning ... external and accepted

biological necessity. ok.

I offer you 'proof' from my own personal experience. therefore my belief system

can not be impeached whatsoever.

this thread has evolved metaphysically . the use of historical record or time

line is banned.
ricardo

Postby Island_Girl » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:18 pm

If a person has ever had a NDE (which I have)
or hit rock bottom (which I have) and been lifted up by
a power greater than themselves they are grateful.

It's a personal thing and not something that is taught or
preached into them. It's simply an understanding.

Call the power whatever you choose. Commune
with that power with love.
Island_Girl

Postby frrostedman » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:38 am

ricardo wrote:
at1with0 wrote:A lot of prayer is wishful thinking. If God is all that it is cracked up to be, then it already knows all of your wants and needs before you utter a prayer.

Yep. Spot on.

And yet, we are encouraged to pray. The Son of God himself, prayed. All the apostles prayed, almost ceaselessly.

It's paradoxical. You probably remember my "pointlessness of prayer" thread from way back where I made the same distinctions and arguments.

I try to spend much of my prayer lavishing God with praise and thanks.

Fact: Either God is inclined to change His mind, based on prayer...... or........ it is absolutely pointless to pray for something to occur or not occur.

Correct?
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby humphreys » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:59 am

Orangetom, I already tore apart your faulty logic concluding that atheists as a whole are ***holes, just because I said some atheistic Satanists are. Atheists span a wide range of beliefs, it means little that a tiny subset of those whose beliefs are atheistic are also Satanists.

Who the hell cares?

You realize a small subset of Christians are pedophiles, right? Does that say anything about Christianity as a whole? Not really.

The fact you are a borderline simpleton with a public education fetish who cannot grasp his own vast mental deficiencies, is not my problem.

You are a boring, predictable, broken record, but people of your kind are thankfully becoming less common.

Now we have Event Horizon declaring that God is infinitely more complex than the universe. Yet...science must constantly revise, update, and revamp their views not only of the universe..but many things right here on earth.

As for this gem...one word, mind-blowing.

You think an infinitely powerful supreme being is going to be less complex than its creation? Who educated you, by the way? I'm beginning to wonder whether you were bought up by monkeys or something.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby Halfabo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:38 am

frrostedman wrote:
ricardo wrote:

Yep. Spot on.

And yet, we are encouraged to pray. The Son of God himself, prayed. All the apostles prayed, almost ceaselessly.

It's paradoxical. You probably remember my "pointlessness of prayer" thread from way back where I made the same distinctions and arguments.

I try to spend much of my prayer lavishing God with praise and thanks.

Fact: Either God is inclined to change His mind, based on prayer...... or........ it is absolutely pointless to pray for something to occur or not occur.

Correct?

Yes, God does know all our wants and needs before we ever ask anything in prayer. He does supply all of our needs but, not before we actually need them. He may or may not supply all of our wants. Sometimes what we want is opposite from what we need. Prayer is not an effort to get God to change His mind about helping us. He has already decided what He will do whether we pray or not. Prayer is for us. It is in prayer that we learn to trust Him. It is in prayer that our faith is strengthened. It is in prayer that we learn what He wants for us. We cannot change God's mind on anything. It is in prayer that our desires are changed to meet His Will. And we become what He wants us to be.
Halfabo

Postby at1with0 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:37 am

Yes, the decision has already been made.

btw, I think mind-blowing is technically two words. :mrgreen:
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby humphreys » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:43 am

at1with0 wrote:Yes, the decision has already been made.

btw, I think mind-blowing is technically two words. :mrgreen:

Okay you got me there :lol:

Go easy on me though, I'm a publically educated drama queen who watches TV.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby greeney2 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:43 am

Peo-ple with pub-lic ed-ucat-ions tend to mis-use hyp-hens all the time-------------- :D
greeney2

Postby humphreys » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:15 am

While that is probably true, mind-blowing is correct use of hyphen! :geek:

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Previous

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts