The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The War on Terrorism & Homeland Security

New age nuclear - Thorium

Discuss the War on Terrorism, Homeland Security, Iraq, Afghanistan, North Korea and other global terrorist concerns.

Postby Aquatank » Wed May 06, 2009 6:53 am

Thorium is not fissile, and thusly cannot be used for a fission bomb. It's strictly a power generator. It could be used for a dirty bomb though if the military is interested in low radiological dose heavy metal poisoning.

Addendum:
Toshiba's home nuclear which uses Lithium 6 as is probably more dangerous as it was stockpiled by the USSR for "Red Mercury" nuclear weapons.
http://www.nti.org/db/nistraff/1993/19930690.htm
Aquatank

Postby screamzero » Wed May 06, 2009 7:09 am

Thorium is a nuclear fuel and can be transmuted into U-233 by
neutron bombardment. U-233 is a poor but viable fissile material;
capable of being made into a bomb.
http://yarchive.net/nuke/thorium.html
screamzero

Postby Aquatank » Wed May 06, 2009 7:41 am

Thusly proving one of my points of why the world should give up on nuclear power and move to alternative energy sources. Nuclear power is a global security risk.
Aquatank

Postby Tairaa » Wed May 06, 2009 10:54 am

Security risk maybe, but easily the best power source if done correctly.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby mael » Wed May 06, 2009 11:50 am

Geothermal is the best of the options currently available.
mael

Postby Tairaa » Wed May 06, 2009 12:51 pm

Geothermal is indirect nuclear.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby screamzero » Wed May 06, 2009 1:24 pm

Aquatank wrote:

Thusly proving one of my points of why the world should give up on nuclear power and move to alternative energy sources. Nuclear power is a global security risk.

The irresponsible are a security risk. Remove yourselves to care for bricks and dirt. Clean, safe, nuclear power is a reality...Neanderthals are to thick to know it. The future is for civilized folk.
Your point applies to cretins.
screamzero

Postby Tairaa » Wed May 06, 2009 1:38 pm

A thought occurs. Thorium is not fissile, so it cannot be used in fission reactors.

It will have to have new reactors built, which isn't a big deal if it proves to be more efficient. Now, it gives off radiation faster, well that's great! But I understand that the overall energy output per weight is higher in Uranium. Bu even this is not a huge issue since it's half life is shorter. However, current nuclear fission reactors work on fission not radiation output, which as I understand is a whole hell of a lot more powerful then it's standard output.

So how would they compare? I have a suspicion that Thorium in nuclear reactors won't be as advantageous as they let to believe. Without fission... It's a pretty big disadvantage.
Tairaa

Postby mael » Wed May 06, 2009 1:39 pm

Tairaa wrote:Geothermal is indirect nuclear.

Errrrrr................ So is just about every other source if you want to check hard enough.

Point being that all you have to do is drill deep enough to get some hot rock ... stick a pipe down it with a return for the steam ... point steam jet to a turbine and there ya go for endless free electricity for the next umpteen years. Not at all impossible with tech we have at hand at the moment.

For example Japan has precious little oil, gas and coal reserves, but it's got several active volcanoes as it is and hot-springs in abundance everywhere. Seems there isn't a good reason for not exploiting this relatively clean and environmentally benign power source. - Except that as it is so cheap the people who want their monopoly on energy would lose money and control.

Geothermal electricity generation could be practical as a local energy source so there would be no need to build those pylons from one end of the country to the other which emit harmful EMR amongst other consequences.

I know it won't be built because it would reduce the control those already in power exert, but it's nice to know all the same.
mael

Postby Tairaa » Wed May 06, 2009 1:53 pm

We have geothermal power plants in BC soon actually, and there are companies which specialize in geothermal heating/power for houses, or for buildings etc.
Tairaa

PreviousNext

Return to The War on Terrorism & Homeland Security

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts