The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Cryptozoology

Mothman

Sightings of bigfoot, lake monsters around the world, and the chupacabras are just some of the many cryptozoological stories on the rise! Although many of these stories are controversial - some have evidence that defies belief.

Postby nightwolf » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:00 am

The Mothman is a creature reportedly seen in the Charleston and Point Pleasant areas of West Virginia from November 12, 1966, to December 1967.[1] Most observers describe the Mothman as a winged man-sized creature with large reflective red eyes and large wings. The creature was sometimes reported as having no head, with its eyes set into its chest.

A number of hypotheses have been presented to explain eyewitness accounts, ranging from misidentification and coincidence, to paranormal phenomena and conspiracy theories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothman
http://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/page/Mothman+Sightings
http://www.unknownexplorers.com/mothman.php

If you're interested in the Mothman, check out The Mothman Prophecies starring Richard Gere as well. I had to make a thread on this after watching Monsterquest who finally made an episode about the Mothman!
nightwolf

Postby Lightwolf » Fri May 28, 2010 12:38 am

If you're interested in the Mothman, check out The Mothman Prophecies starring Richard Gere as well. I had to make a thread on this after watching Monsterquest who finally made an episode about the Mothman!

Mothman is still interesting since it is still being observed to this day...by the way...saw the movie..it sucked.
When I die...I want to go peacefully in my sleep...like my Grandfather did...not screaming like the passengers in his car.
Lightwolf

Postby shadowcass » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:16 am

The Richard Gere movie is entertaining but not a great source of information about what may (or may not) have happened in and around Point Pleasant West Virginia in the early 1960s. People claim they saw SOMETHING that has been called "Mothman" (primarily because "Batman" was already copyrighted).

As for any connection between the sightings of this purported cryptid and the collapse of the Silver Bridge a year later---that has yet to be demonstrated.

The real trouble with Mothman is that, granting the witnesses were truthful when they described what they saw (or thought they saw) all anyone can do is say "How odd."

As for the reports of UFOs and "Men in Black" and so on we still are left with "How odd."
Are THEY connected to the sightings of this "Mothman?"

Who the hell knows?

They might be and, then again, they might NOT be.

But the fact is the "connections" are mostly in people's minds. There certainly is no DIRECT connection between the sightings of this "creature" "UFO sightings" "MiBs" and the Silver Bridge disaster.

And, unless "Mothman" pops up again that's kinda where we have to leave it. It's a cool story.
But that's all it is.

Sorry.

PS: Most (if not all) "Modern Day sightings" of "Mothman" (including the one on or near 9/11 and the sighting in Minneapolis where I live just before we had a bridge collapse have already been shown to be hoaxes.
shadowcass

Return to Cryptozoology

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts