The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Major Threat to Religion? Clergy People Turning Atheist

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby humphreys » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Clearly :lol:

That's public education for ya.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
User avatar
humphreys
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Inside your head.

Postby orangetom1999 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:57 am

Clearly

That's public education for ya.


NO ..not really ...I'll show you public education...


Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."


The word used here is Maul.

IN some versions of the Bible the word used...is "Tare."


But the rationale used here is Killed.

The "Biblical God" kills kids for being kids. This is so stupid it's beyond words. Does one even need to go any further after reading this?


How did you go from tare or maul to kill??? Is this public schooling??

It did not go over my head.

However my point still stands...what are today's children up to in the upward reach of mankind??

Also ..remember what part of the world you are speaking of or about. How long ago was this? Do you know the custom of the people and how they meted out punnishment. I do not presume to look back with what I deem ok today ..by "Public Education"/20/20 vision to pass judgement on these people or their customs.

Remember when that American kid got caned in Malasyia...or some other country for damaging other peoples cars.

I thought it was fine and appropriate. Guess what ...he got mauled. He didn't go around doing that anymore. Many people here thought it was excessive. Few people thought about how much RISK these people took in their lives to obtain and keep a car.

Some of you need to check your public education and emotions at the door. And especially the time warp logic and reason.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999
 
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:25 am

Postby event_horizon » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:18 pm

Apparently Christians think it's perfectly okay for their "God" to unleash bears on helpless children. :crazy:
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
User avatar
event_horizon
 
Posts: 1621
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:51 am
Location: Colorado

Postby orangetom1999 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:29 pm

event_horizon wrote:Apparently Christians think it's perfectly okay for their "God" to unleash bears on helpless children. :crazy:



The discipline structure of the bible is authoritarian..it is not optional....or good cop/bad cop. Take it up with God. Your not going to get anywhere trying to rationalize human thought or reason with me on this.

These children were being disrespectful as well as stupid. Bad thing is that today they grow into the same kind of Adults who think they are sitting on the only on in town. Nothing new here under the sun.
These children were not helpless enough to disrespect someone else. What would they be doing to another child if they were doing this to an adult??

You have gone from Maul and tear...to killing children....now to helpless...to whatever technique you decide to rationalize next.

Bottom line is that anyone who reads the Bible thoroughly does not really want to be involved with it, because there are just way too many appalling/ridiculous things in it. Things like this, for example:


The bottom line for people who know and appreciate what is in the Bible...is that there are to many ridiculous things in this world today...from people who believe they deserve good things.....even at someone else's expense....and that they are sitting on the only one in town...therefore they can justify almost anything including rudeness and disrespect...even entitlement beliefs.


Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999
 
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:25 am

Postby event_horizon » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:55 am

I hope you don't have kids.

And if you don't, you need to get neutered.
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
User avatar
event_horizon
 
Posts: 1621
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:51 am
Location: Colorado

Postby humphreys » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:51 am

Jesus Christ as if there is even much of a difference between death and a mauling from a bear. You are one sick individual orangetom. If you have kids and they are disrespectful, I shudder to think what you may deem suitable punishment.

Disgusting.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
User avatar
humphreys
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Inside your head.

Postby qmark » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:32 pm

event_horizon wrote:Apparently Christians think it's perfectly okay for their "God" to unleash bears on helpless children. :crazy:


event_horizon wrote:The "Biblical God" kills kids for being kids.


You assume much. First you assume these so called kids were killed. It doesn’t say if they were killed or not. Then you assume they were helpless. Why? Nowhere are we told they are helpless. Then, again, you assume they are children. Maybe, but when you do a word search, maybe not. Maybe they were children in comparison to Elisha. My sons are in their late thirties, almost middle aged, yet they are children to me. They’re my kids.

The Hebrew word used for children in the KJV is na`ar. This word is used 238 times, young man 76 times, servant 54 times, child 44 times, lad 33 times, young 15 times, children 7 times, youth 6, babe 1, boys 1, young 1. They could have easily been young men or servants which would also make sense because the word used for little is qatan, meaning young, small (which can also mean small in societal stature), insignificant, and or unimportant (which would clearly fit the bill according to the society standards at the time).

The biggest mistake people make when reading the Bible is reading it through the lens of the twentieth or twenty-first century eyes. One needs to take into account the history, the background, the society and the surrounding societies. What was the message that God was imparting to the Israelites at that time and what can we take from that spiritually today.

What can we learn from those young men being torn up besides sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you? Elisha had just taken up the mantle from Elijah, he was untested and most likely unaccepted, and God let the Israelites know, along with anyone else, that there are no hindrances to His will.

Too excessive you say? We don’t know that to be true because the whole incident is summed up in two verses. The truth is, we don’t know the whole story since we are only given the highlights.
Last edited by qmark on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qmark
 
Posts: 1063
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby qmark » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:46 pm

humphreys wrote:Jesus Christ as if there is even much of a difference between death and a mauling from a bear. You are one sick individual orangetom. If you have kids and they are disrespectful, I shudder to think what you may deem suitable punishment.

Disgusting.


I'm disappointed.
qmark
 
Posts: 1063
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby humphreys » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:52 pm

qmark, in my world it is disappointing to see the commanded mauling of kids by bears being justified as okay.

Does whatever you were disappointed in top that?

Did I offend you, because believe me, you and orangetom have both offended me by condoning such atrocities. How many children suffered because of my post? Why are you not disappointed in your God?
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
User avatar
humphreys
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Inside your head.

Postby event_horizon » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:27 pm

qmark wrote:
event_horizon wrote:Apparently Christians think it's perfectly okay for their "God" to unleash bears on helpless children. :crazy:


event_horizon wrote:The "Biblical God" kills kids for being kids.


You assume much. First you assume these so called kids were killed. It doesn’t say if they were killed or not. Then you assume they were helpless. Why? Nowhere are we told they are helpless. Then, again, you assume they are children. Maybe, but when you do a word search, maybe not. Maybe they were children in comparison to Elisha. My sons are in their late thirties, almost middle aged, yet they are children to me. They’re my kids.

The Hebrew word used for children in the KJV is na`ar. This word is used 238 times, young man 76 times, servant 54 times, child 44 times, lad 33 times, young 15 times, children 7 times, youth 6, babe 1, boys 1, young 1. They could have easily been young men or servants which would also make sense because the word used for little is qatan, meaning young, small (which can also mean small in societal stature), insignificant, and or unimportant (which would clearly fit the bill according to the society standards at the time).

The biggest mistake people make when reading the Bible is reading it through the lens of the twentieth or twenty-first century eyes. One needs to take into account the history, the background, the society and the surrounding societies. What was the message that God was imparting to the Israelites at that time and what can we take from that spiritually today.

What can we learn from those young men being torn up besides sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you? Elisha had just taken up the mantle from Elijah, he was untested and most likely unaccepted, and God let the Israelites know, along with anyone else, that there are no hindrances to His will.

Too excessive you say? We don’t know that to be true because the whole incident is summed up in two verses. The truth is, we don’t know the whole story since we are only given the highlights.


1) The verse uses the term "boys," not "kids." But, same difference. The definition of "boy" is "a male child."

2) In an incident where there are boys versus bears, I'd say they would indeed be helpless to defend themselves.

3) It's absolutely appalling that anyone would even think this is justifiable punishment....even if they were "young men." :problem: Nobody deserves to be attacked by bears for teasing somebody.

Why don't we all just start feeding our children to lions any time they get out of line. :thumbup:
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
User avatar
event_horizon
 
Posts: 1621
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:51 am
Location: Colorado

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

cron
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 10 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 292 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:19 pm
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests