The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Questions that make you think...

Logic and knowing

In this forum, questions are asked which are really tough to answer. Some philosophical, some regarding morality and many others. Have fun, and post your own personal tough questions!

Postby chrisv25 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:17 pm

time dilation according to relative velocity.

the paradox can be true the faster i go, but here is the mess. It won't be true for me (the one going)...only to you watching me. It is a logical mess, but it has logical internal consistence and verifiable by experimentation.

At1with0 wrote:Sorry if it's a difficult question. I do not think the two have much to do with each other.

Maybe I'm not understanding you. Why don't you think that they have much to do with each other?

@bionic
You're welcome, liked the first edit better. :D

as a complete side note: may i recommend http://www.feynmanphysicslectures.com/ to learn a little bit about physics; Feynman is super knowledgeable (and childlike in his excitement) and explains science in way that is fun and interesting to people who know nothing about physics.
chrisv25

Postby bionic » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:33 pm

:lol:
shhh
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby at1with0 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:58 pm

chrisv25 wrote:time dilation according to relative velocity.

the paradox can be true the faster i go, but here is the mess. It won't be true for me (the one going)...only to you watching me. It is a logical mess, but it has logical internal consistence and verifiable by experimentation.

Well that's certainly not Zeno's reasoning. What you're talking about isn't Zeno's paradox. It's something implied by science and thus isn't paradoxical though perhaps hard to understand.
At1with0 wrote:Sorry if it's a difficult question. I do not think the two have much to do with each other.

Maybe I'm not understanding you. Why don't you think that they have much to do with each other?

They have as much in common as grammar and meaning.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby chrisv25 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:03 pm

I'll think that i made my point rather succinctly about the paradox first implied by bionic. i will leave it alone.

They have as much in common as grammar and meaning.

why? what is your position on this subject?
chrisv25

Postby DIss0n80r » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:38 am

Isn't it possible that every universal constant is actually a variable within some bigger picture? How could we get at truth then?
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby chrisv25 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:41 am

DIss0n80r wrote:Isn't it possible that every universal constant is actually a variable within some bigger picture? How could we get at truth then?

there would be a relationship and 'symmetry' to the argument, like the standard model or the table of chemical elements. We have the mathematical tools to do that sort of logic reasoning, and i'm sure if you look through history, someone somewhere has made that argument about the nature of the universe...look up the anthropic principle. that will give you the current views on that particular style of a thinking solution set.

So At1 i've been think about this problem and I think that i have an answer for you. Something can be called true when it's logic makes correct predictions about other things that make correct predictions about other things and so on.

like ' Gravity' which must be true, because it is happening.We have several different ways to describe that truth, we can describe it as a force with a newtons equations or we can describe it as a field with the maxwell equations or we can describe it as a pressure gradient and only make local predictions or we can describe it with linear path algebra they all make the same predictions on it's 'gravity-ness'.

all of these ways of describing 'the law of gravity' and the fact that the event is occurring right now as you read these words. means that it is a 'truth' !!all modes of logic, reason and experience point directly to it and affirms it's existence.

ding ding ding that's my final answer :mrgreen:
chrisv25

Postby DIss0n80r » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:52 am

Predictability equals truth, you're saying?
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby at1with0 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:51 am

chrisv25 wrote:Something can be called true when it's logic makes correct predictions about other things that make correct predictions about other things and so on.

All men are mortal.
I am a man.
Ergo, I have ten fingers.

That's not a cogent argument yet it has a correct prediction.

;)
at1with0

Postby chrisv25 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:52 pm

at1with0 wrote:
chrisv25 wrote:Something can be called true when it's logic makes correct predictions about other things that make correct predictions about other things and so on.

All men are mortal.
I am a man.
Ergo, I have ten fingers.

That's not a cogent argument yet it has a correct prediction.

;)

and it's all true. Welcome to quantum mechanics.
chrisv25

Postby at1with0 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:30 pm

What does QM have to do with whether or not there is truth in logic?
at1with0

PreviousNext

Return to Questions that make you think...

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts