The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Questions that make you think...

Logic and knowing

In this forum, questions are asked which are really tough to answer. Some philosophical, some regarding morality and many others. Have fun, and post your own personal tough questions!

Postby at1with0 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:52 am

Greater, meaning?

You said an ultimate truth must logically exist. There's an easier way to demonstrate that which is by examining the statement "there is no such thing as an ultimate truth."

QED even the simplest forms of logic lead us closer to the truth.

How so?
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby at1with0 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:14 am

Being good at a game does not tell you about truth.
at1with0

Postby CodeBlackv2 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:29 pm

Absolute true and false is easy in logic, but when you try to apply it to the laws of physics its not so cut and dried. It depends on what P and Q are and it depends on how accurately you can measure P and Q. Plus the universe allows more choices on most things. You can prove absolutely, mathematically, that you can't travel faster than the speed of light. Whether or not that translates into a universal absolute is a question so far unanswered.

The behavior of the Kaon is in disagreement with the standard model. It was discovered a long time ago. Scientists have known for some time that the Standard Model has some problems.
CodeBlackv2

Postby chrisv25 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:59 pm

at1with0 wrote:Being good at a game does not tell you about truth.

that is the most logical thing that can be said about logic.
I like it a lot though and it's going on my fridge.

I return to "i think therefore i am"...or perhaps i have have been working for ummm 22 hours straight now on this f'ing problem, and I am just slap happy.
chrisv25

Postby chrisv25 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:59 pm

CodeBlackv2 wrote: You can prove absolutely, mathematically, that you can't travel faster than the speed of light. Whether or not that translates into a universal absolute is a question so far unanswered.

That's a very bad analogy, there are observable and very real phenomenon that tell us the speed of light is constant and that it would require an infinite amount of energy to go even the speed of light. There are a few tricks around it, but all are so impossible to build, much less power; we will not go faster than light in the next million years of human evolution, and maybe not even then. Time travel is surprising more feasible.

I do however get your point.

as for the standard model I hope they use Feynman's linear path algebra solution to Quantum mechanics...I think it's been the big purple elephant in the room for too long.
chrisv25

Postby bionic » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:48 pm

'p and q' makes my dyslexia come to mind..to my poor brain they are the same (Ithere's an ultimate truth hidden in that observation, maybe?)

I was thinking that "the ultimate truth' might be a line that keeps moving just beyond .
It's set up that way in the system..as you move closer you push it further..always beyond reach

always reaching..this is what keeps creation, creating, I guess

brilliant
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby at1with0 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:24 pm

Sounds kind of pessimistic, that truth (what you call ultimate truth) will forever be beyond our grasp. But maybe that's more realistic than I would like to admit. :Doh:
at1with0

Postby chrisv25 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:28 pm

thats filled with brilliantness.

if you keep taking half the distance to the ultimate truth you will never arrive there no matter how many steps you take.

I wish i had the name for that...it's from special relativity i think...anyone?
chrisv25

Postby at1with0 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:55 pm

It's called Zeno's paradox.

Zeno's paradox is easily falsified by runners in a race actually crossing the finish line.

The ultimate truth analog is not so easily falsified.
at1with0

Postby chrisv25 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:41 pm

but it does raise an interesting point. Zeno's paradox can be true from certain inertial reference points.

Is ultimate truth a paradox and not always true ?
chrisv25

PreviousNext

Return to Questions that make you think...

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts