The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

My Kind of Guy

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby Cole_Trickle » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:53 am

We had an incident here locally a while back, I'll not get into the specifics, yet it's public knowledge and on record. I called the Mayors office over the incident, they freaked out when I suggested that the incident was done on purpose in order to bring about the possibility of revisiting our states gun laws.

It was over open carry ( which in my opinion is absolutely asinine ) it speaks volumes about ANY person who feels it's acceptable ( whether it be legal or not )

Carry laws are designed for personal protection, not open intimidation. I strongly question the motives of anyone who thinks otherwise.

I'm watching this case very very closely, as the party involved has sued the city. It's been all quiet for about 45 days now, soon I'll check the docket and see just where this is headed.

Something tells me that they don't want someone like me poking around asking serious, yet very simple questions. ;)

If you're a person demonstrating open carry legally with proper permit, and are approached by an Officer of the law who asks you politely to " PLEASE CONCEAL YOUR WEAPON " and you refuse to do so citing your 2nd amendment rights-You're either a complete dumb ass, someone looking for a lawsuit, or someone sent to do just that------------cause a scene that brings attention to a States carry laws.---------------Nothing else!!!

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Postby greeney2 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:27 am

Something tells me that they don't want someone like me poking around asking serious, yet very simple questions.

When you tell um how much you know, they will love you. :lol:
greeney2

Postby orangetom1999 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:40 am

Open or concealed carry is the province of the individual states. They determine how it is to be done as well as reciprocal agreements between the various states. I have no problem with this.

I find this a bit ironic in lieu of the concept that Private ownership of arms is in the Constitution yet it is obvious that the Federal Government mostly does not trust an Armed Public...Republicans and Democrats both. Both concealed and open. Ironic!!

There is something morally corrupt and questionable in their authority to govern with a government who can train the public to arm and go off to fight their dirty wars..but not own a firearm at home.
And this is obviously the direction someone wants our people to go.

I was in a grocery store the other day and someone was carrying openly. Didn't bother me at all. Didn't seem to bother other customers.
And I too have on occasion carried open.

If the Federal Government is to incompetent to have concealed carry or open carry or even protect the people and 2nd Amendment..than it is up to the various states.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby Cole_Trickle » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:17 pm

Splitting hairs, is still splitting hairs. In this case we're talking about a Sheriff who's gotten fed up with the judicial system and all that comes with it, can't say that I blame him. He's encouraged citizens to do more for themselves in the form of protection via a weapon. I'm all for that just as long as the permit holder is competent and abides by the law as well as common sense.

I also think some drivers above age 80 have ZERO business behind the wheel of any vehicle----which in the proper circumstance, can prove more dangerous than some loon with a hip holster and peacemaker in plain view. Jesus Christ this ain't that simple.

Further it's not a case of being uncomfortable when you see someone carrying a gun. It's a case of the ambulance chaser who's just around the freaking corner, and the left wing lunatic who's just sitting and waiting to change the freaking law ( WHEN SOMEONE COMPLAINS ) So my point is very very simple--------inviting a debate that nothing good can come from is at best ASININE, and at worst, just plain STUPID AS HELL.

Millions of dollars worth of revenue in my state has gone to the State Police as a result of Indiana gun laws, this means many many people can be affected by some loon who open carries and refuses to cooperate with police when asked to conceal the weapon. Did you know that in most every state one can carry a long gun most anywhere without ANY PERMIT WHATSOEVER.

Why not strap on an AR---and be done with it.. :lol: :lol: :lol: Or a gas semi auto 12 gauge assault ???????

Just insane. Just insane period.

I'd hate to tell you all the places I've taken a weapon, but NO ONE HAS EVER KNOWN ABOUT IT------------It's safer that way, smarter that way, and above all I don't have to deal with any idiots asking me any stupid questions.

I've never had anyone except for my wife, to ever ask anything. I write that off to the carry method and if I some day have to leave it at home because of someone who wants to cause a stupid scene in public, then I won't be real happy. Then, and only then, will I ever scream about the 2nd amendment in public. ;) Up until then I just keep mine concealed.

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Postby orangetom1999 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:31 pm

Cole_Trickle,

In this state you can carry open and concealed handgun both. Concealed needs to be by permit.

Yes...you are correct...you can carry a long gun here down the road open..no problem.

I have carried my Mini 14 in the back window of my pickup truck and on the rifle rack..no problems. I would not and do not get excited over this. Out in the country it is not uncommon at all to see people carrying their shotguns of all types in the rifle racks of their trucks..or some combination of rifle and shotgun. It is wise to wager that many of these people carry a pistol of .357 diameter or bigger.

Soon here it will be hunting season. Lots of shotguns and even some rifles will be seen in the back windows of trucks. Depending where you are ...it will not be uncommon to see someone walking down the side of the road with a shotgun in their hands. It is not uncommon to see someone going into Wal Mart with a pistol on their hip and buying ammunition.

Just across the river ..out in the country it is not uncommon to see people sitting in chairs in the corn fields dove hunting....shotguns. Or walking among the rows. No one gets excited over this.

Not all of us around here get frightened at the sight of a gun.
Not all of us live safe and secure behind our steering wheels and television sets with someone else taking all the "RISK " out of our lives for us. Nor do we expect someone else..including the Constabulary to be there when we need "RESCUING." We do not have that kind of faith in them. No insult intended to the Constabulary but that is how we see it. For we know that it is we ourselves who is the first line of defense. And the Sheriff was confirming this to me.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby gudskepteacal » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:10 pm

I'm actually surprised to hear your pov on 'open carry' Cole. I imagined you would be all for it for some reason; surprise, surprise. I thought intimidation of potential evil-doers was the point. For who are they more likely to target-someone who looks defenseless or someone openly carrying protection on their person? I would think 9 times out of 10 it would be the former and not the latter. Like orangetom I've no problem whatsoever with open carry and don't get all queasy when I see a weapon; unless, of course, it happens to be pointed in my direction in a menacing fashion. Ever have that happen? Not a good feeling.
"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and its issuance." - James Madison
gudskepteacal

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:33 am

Yes, I've had it happen gudskeptical. I was robbed at gunpoint a couple of years ago by someone following me home from work on my scooter. When they got my monies and cell phone they told me to turn and walk towards the bushes at the side of the road...I thought I was a goner.

I am headed to the local gun range today to shoot a recent acquisition. A British Enfield rifle in an American/Western caliber. .308 Winchester...rather than the .303 British.
I will begin on the 50 yard line and then, when sighted in, work my way to the 100 yard line.

I have postponed purchasing an Enflied rifle until I was able to find one in a easily available American Caliber. It was a matter of simple logistics. .303 British is not that easily available around here. Not the case with .308 Winchester and I am equipped to reload .308 as well.

Will also be taking a SKS Rifle to adjust the front sight on it.

No handguns to day. This is not a handgun day. Another day perhaps.

I was about town yesterday in a number of business establishments transacting "intrastate" commerce and carrying my 1911 .45ACP......concealed.

When I return from the range I will begin the labor intensive process of reloading .308 Winchester spent brass. The SKS 7,62x39mm brass is actually steel and I don't bother with reloading it. It is still relatively inexpensive and available.

I can do the same reloading for most of my pistol brass.

Agree and noted....I too don't get excited about guns unless they are pointed at me.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby bionic » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:39 am

H is law enforcement.
He carrys' his gun with him quite often.
I'm more of a pepper spray person, myself.
I've fired a gun..target practice with H but that was years ago.
I feel if you are not someone who is comfortable using a gun..then you should not be carrying one

years back..I use to party with some drug dealers (way back in my youth)
One time one of them got angry at one of the others..something about money
he whipped out hus gun and was waving it about.
I was like, "I am out of here"
And I did just that, me and some friends just got up and got the F out of there
There was no incident, I guess, but I was not taking any chances
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby Cole_Trickle » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:49 am

gudskepteacal wrote:I'm actually surprised to hear your pov on 'open carry' Cole. I imagined you would be all for it for some reason; surprise, surprise. I thought intimidation of potential evil-doers was the point. For who are they more likely to target-someone who looks defenseless or someone openly carrying protection on their person? I would think 9 times out of 10 it would be the former and not the latter. Like orangetom I've no problem whatsoever with open carry and don't get all queasy when I see a weapon; unless, of course, it happens to be pointed in my direction in a menacing fashion. Ever have that happen? Not a good feeling.

Open carry in today's world is simply insane, mainly because of those who have ZERO business even owing, let alone carrying a weapon of any kind. Look around those types are everywhere these days. Personally I have no problem with it myself, yet I'm trained and far beyond the decent ordinary shooter, I have my late Father to thank for that............equally skilled with bare hands, again his doing-something I'll always be extremely grateful for.

In Virginia for example-----------Open carry has existed for years and the Police as well as the Public are very familiar with the Law-------( so it works under such understanding ) However in states such as mine where the carry permit, as well as the law, provides for confusion-then open display of a weapon in the waistband or on the hip------------is simply asking for trouble.

It's extremely naive to think that a criminal would be afraid of someone who open carries, same thing for those who are intimidated by such.

I would open carry with little regard for anyone if I were 100% confident that the local LE was 100% knowledgeable of the state permit laws. News flash--------------most are not---------so why invite an easily avoidable and completely unnecessary situation that may involve a rookie cop answering a complaint??????????????

You're more than welcome to subject yourself to such via open carry, I myself will pass.

I can assure you that the last thing you'll ever want to do EVER, is draw down on another human being and find yourself with a split second to decide ------------------most people can't handle such a thing----------yep they'll tell you that they can-------but I know that that is just pure bullshit. Lots of LE have difficulty with this. So what makes ( the average person ) who open carries JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN.........any different?

If a person is skilled with all the aspects of proper weapon control ----------then by all means strap on your boots and your six shooters----------I could care less--------------it's Rambo wannabe's who give be the shivers! ;)

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Postby orangetom1999 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:01 am

Rambo wannabes I do not like as well. The last one I was around at the local gun club...I would remove myself to the other end of the range or go home.

This guy would shoot his SKS rapidly....with extended magazine. I dont think he hit much but just liked to make noise.

I reload my own ammo..I dont think it is smart to reload for a day then shoot it up in 15 minutes to make noise and try to impress others. That steel cased 7.62x39 is relatively cheap...but it still doesn't make good nonsense to be making alot of noise with ones monies. Learn to shoot straight ..not shoot alot.

One of the worst pieces of junk I've seen is something called a Tech 9. At an indoor range the guy in the lane next to me was shooting his Tech 9 and couldnt hit the paper at 25 yards. He kept bringing the paper closer and finally wound up bring it close enough to both hit it and blast it to pieces with the muzzle blast. Time for me to leave.

Agree..even LE have problems drawing down on another person..and then living with it.
Most peoples I have seen cannot shoot that well and repeatedly at a controlled gun range.,,much less under stress.

Nonetheless..open carry does not bother me. And it is the law here...as well as concealed carry with a permit.

There have been a number of crimes prevented or concluded by armed people around here. Either concealed or open carry/private ownership of firearms. They are often very downplayed here by the media verses the local "Wildlife " getting extensive coverage when they have a shoot out.
The very liberal media around here does not want the public to think outside of the local constabulary/government when it comes to protecting ones person and properties.

But some of us know that we ..the private American citizen are the first line of defense when seconds count and the constabulary are minutes away.

It was so that night I was robbed on my scooter coming home from work. We cannot carry a firearm on us to work or even in the parking lots. They will fire you if you get caught.

But you know Cole....that was one of the first things those robbers warned each other about....reinforced the thought that I might be carrying a gun. Strange occupation for someone to worry about that...when pointing a gun at me.

However ...there are times when I ride my scooter about town and I am indeed armed...but not that night coming home from work.

Sort of like many politicians...they want to have all the guns while the rest of us are unarmed. Talk about a cheap bunch of predators.

Not all of us choose to journey about in fear. Even after being robbed at gunpoint.
Not all of us live and breath the world from behind the safety of our televisions, remote controllers and steering wheels.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Previous

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts