The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Questions that make you think...

Idea Theory

In this forum, questions are asked which are really tough to answer. Some philosophical, some regarding morality and many others. Have fun, and post your own personal tough questions!

Postby khanster » Sun May 27, 2012 10:36 pm

Any description of reality requires some form of formalization, aka consistency.

A picture can be represented by numbers, e.g. pixilation, binary code, etc. An arrangement of numbers is a method of communicating, i.e. a language.

http://www.createforum.com/phpbb/viewto ... lsight#397

at1with0 said:

Your binary bits can paint a picture formed a kind of revelation for me. If "words" can paint a picture, then maybe they can describe reality as well.

khanster

Postby DIss0n80r » Mon May 28, 2012 12:24 am

khanster wrote:All ideas can be encoded as information.

I'd guess that any "idea" can be experienced, potentially, but not all aspects of reality can be communicated. Not fully, anyhow.
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby khanster » Mon May 28, 2012 12:32 am

DIss0n80r wrote:
khanster wrote:All ideas can be encoded as information.

I'd guess that any "idea" can be experienced, potentially, but not all aspects of reality can be communicated. Not fully, anyhow.

All aspects of reality can be fully communicated, in principle.
khanster

Postby DIss0n80r » Mon May 28, 2012 1:53 am

I don't think so, but I could be wrong.
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby khanster » Mon May 28, 2012 3:17 am

DIss0n80r wrote:I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

Reality communicates with itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_wavefunction

The universal wave function is the wavefunction or quantum state of the totality of existence, regarded as the "basic physical entity" or "the fundamental entity, obeying at all times a deterministic wave equation"
khanster

Postby DIss0n80r » Mon May 28, 2012 4:19 am

With all due respect, I think you're really reaching by using "communication" to describe all the processes and relations of existence. The word implies an intentional act, and as far as I know there isn't good evidence that anything other than life has any intent.

I doubt that reality is driven by purpose, although purpose is possible, of course. Reality can't exist for a reason because a reason would mean there was a reasoner who made reality for whatever reason, who existed before reality.

I don't think that was the case, myself. It makes more sense to me that reality has always existed in different forms, without a first or absolute intention or reason aiming at any specific or final outcome of events.
DIss0n80r

Postby khanster » Mon May 28, 2012 5:09 am

DIss0n80r wrote:With all due respect, I think you're really reaching by using "communication" to describe all the processes and relations of existence.

Reality is in direct contact with itself over vast distances. It communicates information to itself instantaneously through non-local correlations.

http://www.ldolphin.org/studynotes/relativ/quantum.htm

Our "local realistic" view of the world assumes that phenomena are separated by time and space and that no influence can travel faster than the speed of light. Quantum nonlocality proves that these assumptions are incorrect, and that there is a principle of holistic interconnectedness operating at the quantum level which contradicts the localistic assumptions of classical, Newtonian physics.

khanster

Postby DIss0n80r » Mon May 28, 2012 5:33 am

Well, I'd personally say reality is always in "contact" with itself in whatever ways, to various degrees. However, from what little I've read on entanglement, there are very different interpretations of the data and there have been lots of wild speculation and big claims made by people who don't have a thorough enough understanding of QM.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

So, sorry, there's still too much we don't understand for us to be making a good judgement on the nature of reality. It's fun to talk about, though!
DIss0n80r

Postby khanster » Mon May 28, 2012 5:49 am

DIss0n80r wrote:So, sorry, there's still too much we don't understand for us to be making a good judgement on the nature of reality. It's fun to talk about, though!

I never made a judgment as you incorrectly assumed. Stating facts is not a judgment.

Reality is in direct contact with itself over vast distances. That is a fact.
khanster

Postby DIss0n80r » Mon May 28, 2012 5:58 am

DIss0n80r

PreviousNext

Return to Questions that make you think...

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts