The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Government and Political Conspiracies

Gold will go 2,000 per ounce

Throughout time, there have been countless government and political conspiracies that have kept us wondering. This forum is dedicated to that very topic. Got a conspiracy theory of your own? Post it, and try to back it up as best you can!

Postby rath » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:02 pm

February 9th, 2010.

Gold Price ((( Surges ))) ....... to $1,075

The gold price rallied $14.00 to $1,077.50 as traders and investors increased exposure to the price of gold amidst short covering in euro positions.

The precipitous decline in the euro versus the U.S. dollar has led a dramatic liquidation over the past ten weeks in securities tied to the gold price - including gold futures, gold ETFs, and gold stocks. Adding to the selling pressure has been speculation that the reflation trade will cease to be profitable going forward and the nine-year gold bull market is over.

At the World Economic Forum two weeks ago, George Soros dubbed gold “the ultimate asset bubble.” Some commentators insist that the most recent rise in the gold price, beginning in late 2008, has been driven primarily by the single factor that has caused nearly all other assets to rise during this time: the weakening U.S. dollar. Indeed, the dollar’s renewed strength over the last 60 days has coincided with the decline in the gold price from its all-time high of $1,226.50 per ounce in early December to $1,062.54 yesterday.

This camp sees the gold price falling back below the psychologically important $1,000 level - where it resided prior to the September 2008 crisis. Gold bears argue that the dollar-carry trade has kept all assets afloat and as this burns out, the gold price will suffer alongside other investment classes. Robert Prechter is the most notable proponent of this thesis and the Elliot Wave theorist projects the resumption of the equity bear market and a severe decline in the gold price in coming quarters.

As reported yesterday in TheStreet.com, Citigroup analyst Alan Heap sees the gold price falling as low as $820 per ounce by 2014, and down to $700 longer-term. Heap bases his call on the threat to the gold price posed by the looming unwinding of long positions in paper markets. “Positions held by money managers and broader non-commercial positions have fallen since November 2009 when the USD strengthened. Non-commercial net long positions are at 5x the average levels seen over the last 17 years.” The report also notes that pent-up demand from China in the form of central bank reserve purchases and consumer demand drove the gold price in 2009, two sources of demand that Heap assumes will not be recurring going forward.

GoldeAlert has repeatedly discussed the pitfalls of applying standard supply and demand theory to the gold price in these pages - suffice it to say that the gold price depends on the investment demand for the yellow metal, and not the commercial demand for it. As for China’s reserve purchases in 2009, the country’s doubling of its gold holdings took place over a number of years, hence was not a key driver of gold prices. Furthermore, China, as well as other emerging economies, will likely to continue to be an incremental buyer of gold in order to diversify its massive U.S. dollar holdings.

Last week, the World Gold Council released a statement which frames an opposite view of that held by Heap. A structural shift in central bank reserve management by both eastern and western central banks, and an increase and geographic diversification in investment demand “continue to provide support to the gold price.”

Though continued non-commercial position liquidation may further drive the gold price down, the macroeconomic factors which have given rise to the gold price bull market continue to coalesce and emerge. While some analysts have confined their commentary to the gold price surge of the past 15 months, they dismiss the fundamentals that have underpinned the gold bull market that has been underway since 2001. Enormous deficits and easy credit are not recent phenomena, although both have been elevated to gargantuan proportions in the past year. Rather it is in the context of a decade of rising deficits and easy monetary policy that the gold price bull market must be evaluated.

AAP

The gold price could rise to $US1,350 per ounce this year, Newmont Mining Corporation President Richard O'Brien says.

"We will see continued support for the gold price," Mr O'Brien told media at the official opening of the company's huge Boddington gold mine, 130 kilometres south-east of Perth.

"Gold is a safe currency.

"No country can dilute the value of gold."

The $3 billion Boddington gold mine is set to surpass Kalgoorlie's famous Super Pit as the nation's largest gold mine.

The gold price in Sydney on Tuesday closed at $US1102.85 per fine ounce.

© 2010 AAP
rath

Postby sheye » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:56 pm

I myself would prefer to have ten good apples, then a peace of gold

I would even share them

EDIT: considering there value is limited to time...
much like gold
Give me an apple tree any day over all the gold in the world
sheye

Postby jaydeehess » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:57 am

rath wrote:
jaydeehess wrote:Sept19, kathaksung wrote "Gold will go $1,500 to $2,000/ounce in recent days
"

It has yet to reach $1200. I am asking what the definition of "recent days" means. Perhaps its a geological timeframe?

True that ........ :lol:

I hope he didnt put all his money into gold at the time, he would have lost the lot.

Oh I think its obvious that predicting what kathaksung will do or won't do is not a particularily easy task.
Math, science, history unraveling the mystery, that all started with a Big Bang.....BANG!!
jaydeehess

Postby jaydeehess » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:09 am

In the 1980's with the rise of the doomsday survivalist movements I often saw exhortations to buy gold, Kugerands and Maple Leaf coins were some of the favorites. The reasoning was that "when" the crash came that paper money would be useless and that the only thing that would have value would be gold.

B.S. I said then and still stand by it.

As Sheye says, an apple tree would be the more lasting asset. Chickens would also be a self propigating wealth producer.
Back in the 80's I figured that if the crash seemed imminent that I would take out money and buy up cases of canned corn, rice, pasta, multivitamins, bandages, polysporin and .22 cal and 30-30 shells. (popular then, now perhaps 9mm ?)
Math, science, history unraveling the mystery, that all started with a Big Bang.....BANG!!
jaydeehess

Postby rath » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:23 pm

Gold loses value aswell tho.

look at both world wars.

City country destroyed ... people starving.

How much of your gold would you hand over for a meal, had you not eaten in 3 weeks.

An ounce or two for a loaf of bread, .... even more for a steak.
rath

Postby jaydeehess » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:35 pm

If I had a garage full of corn, dried beans, pasta, rice, multivitamins etc. I don't think I would need gold. Infact unless I planned on starting up an electronics manufacturing or jewlery facility I cannot think of any use for gold if the world has already gone to hell in a handbasket.

correction- Gold might make an ok substitute for lead in bullets I suppose. easily melted down, dense and maleable. Hell of a lot less toxic as well.
jaydeehess

Postby rath » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:08 pm

& thats the thing ...

gold is like anything else, its worth nothing if people neither need it or wont it.

Or dont wish to pay that much for it.
rath

Postby CodeBlack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:10 pm

Gold is used a lot in space craft and electronics.

I love those commercials selling gold coins contain a whopping 31 mg of gold for $19.95. People are too stupid to realize that that is only $1.31 worth of gold. :lol: Not to mention that coins that don't come from a real mint, like the US Mint, are usually worthless.
N2TheBlack
CodeBlack

Postby jaydeehess » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:19 am

The gold brokers advertised on, among others, Fox News Channel are also legal rip off artists. Typically they sell you gold at 30% more than market value. If you bought at $1000/oz from them you would still not have broken even yet.

Dollars for Gold are also misleading in their advertising. They buy your "scrap" gold jewllery. People fail to realize that the 14 karat gold chain they have is only 14% actual gold. You could fill the mailing pouch they send you with 14 kt gold and not get the mitt full of cash they show people holding in the commercials. Of course they too are obviously not paying you full market price for your gold. They are not a non-profit venture.
jaydeehess

Postby jaydeehess » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:24 am

You know, the more I think of it the better gold looks as a substitute for lead in bullets and shotgun shells. Its dense and maleable with a low melting point, like lead, but does not require the safety precautions such as good ventilation in your shop. It will not contaminate your kill.

Furthermore it would work great as fishing weights.
jaydeehess

PreviousNext

Return to Government and Political Conspiracies

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts