The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Is God Real or Not?

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby MonarchSmile » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:53 pm

MonarchSmile

Postby fortwynt » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:37 pm

The problem is, people who do not generally believe in God portay things this way:

"If you believe in the God of your bible, and your bible can be proven to be scientifically inaccurate (here and there), then i.e. your belief in God is based on unsound logic"...or rather, if you continue to believe in your God, then you are clearly challenging "known" scientific "fact".

So far off the mark I don't even know where to start.

Clearly for many years of my life I was like the fundies, and believed that every word of the "bible" needed to be believed in completely, even at the disregard for logic at times....now though, i would never suggest that all things are literal or even important to care much about....for instance....now, i could care less if there was a literal adam and eve...im almost sure there wasn't....nor do i think it particluarly important to believe Literally in the events depicted as the "creation".....in my mind at least, clearly these stories are metaphorical and intended to provide an interesting "filler" for things no one really knows much about. I don't care if moses said "thee" or "thou" or how many times he passed gas on the way up the mountain. Pointlessness.

Now that being said, there are things that I think go without saying as being highly valuable and important in the bible...principles such as "love your neighbor as yourself", "do good unto your enemies", charity, meekness of spirit, forgiveness....even if the other 99 percent of the bible were patently ridiculous, those principles are still sound princples, and a basic belief in God, to me, seems very logical, even if "religion" is largely "invented".
fortwynt

Postby MonarchSmile » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:04 pm

The problem is, people who do not generally believe in God portay things this way:

This is your problem apparently......not mine

I couldn't get past this crap statement of yours to even read the rest of your BS.

:D
MonarchSmile

Postby fortwynt » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:18 pm

you're an idiot, whose only goal around here is to poke fun and insult people.

but of course i'm not the only one who recognizes this.
fortwynt

Postby MonarchSmile » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:48 pm

fortwynt wrote:you're an idiot, whose only goal around here is to poke fun and insult people.

but of course i'm not the only one who recognizes this.

I think you may have figured out the secret of this Web site :lol:

Idiot's Anonymous :o
MonarchSmile

Postby MonarchSmile » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:12 pm

fortwynt wrote:The problem is, people who do not generally believe in God portay things this way:

"If you believe in the God of your bible, and your bible can be proven to be scientifically inaccurate (here and there), then i.e. your belief in God is based on unsound logic"...or rather, if you continue to believe in your God, then you are clearly challenging "known" scientific "fact".

Clearly for many years of my life I was like the fundies, and believed that every word of the "bible" needed to be believed in completely, even at the disregard for logic at times....now though, i would never suggest that all things are literal or even important to care much about....for instance....now, i could care less if there was a literal adam and eve...im almost sure there wasn't....nor do i think it particluarly important to believe Literally in the events depicted as the "creation".....in my mind at least, clearly these stories are metaphorical and intended to provide an interesting "filler" for things no one really knows much about. I don't care if moses said "thee" or "thou" or how many times he passed gas on the way up the mountain. Pointlessness.

Now that being said, there are things that I think go without saying as being highly valuable and important in the bible...principles such as "love your neighbor as yourself", "do good unto your enemies", charity, meekness of spirit, forgiveness....even if the other 99 percent of the bible were patently ridiculous, those principles are still sound princples, and a basic belief in God, to me, seems very logical, even if "religion" is largely "invented".

Try reframing your first statement

It is my opinion that..........people who do not generally believe in God portay things this way:
(which bothers me?)

Blah Blah Blather

Hopefully this yanks your chain less
Which I enjoy doing, as a fellow idiot 8-)
MonarchSmile

Postby fortwynt » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:46 pm

yes...i wasn't aware that every post we make must first go before the judge of perfectionary illiteration....(sp?)

it seems to me that many people who either don't beleive in God, or are relatively agnostic, tend to frame their argument this way:

better?
fortwynt

Postby event_horizon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:11 pm

fortwynt wrote:The problem is, people who do not generally believe in God portay things this way:

The problem is...before science started proving things in the Bible were false, everything in it was taken literally. Now, whatever doesn't make scientific sense, it's called metaphors. Looks like you people have a problem with reality.

And don't tell me you need the Bible to teach morals when the very people who preach it can't keep their penises out of little boys mouths.
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby Lashmar » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:59 pm

Now I wrote this before I read that and it's the same sort of thing that you said, only in lyrics:
Victimise my sanity
Mockery of deities
Butchery of old beliefs
Science, our new relief.

Unproven facts backed up by god
A god we cannot see
A mythic bean up in the sky
Tell us what’s not be.

Victimise my sanity = Christians had/has a thing against scientist.

Mockery of deities
= Pan the Greek dude (cool. `I am, Pan the Greek dude`) was turned into the devil.

Butchery of old beliefs
= Most of Christianity comes from other beliefs.

Science, our new relief = when science first cam around Christians thought they could use it to prove the existence of god.

Into the next bit:

Unproven facts backed up by god, A god we cannot see = self explanatory; you try and prove god is fake.

A mythic bean up in the sky, Tell us what’s not be = needed to put something there to be honest and it sounds kind of cool. :oops: 8-)

The rest of it is pretty good but I don’t think people would like me posting anti- Christianity lyrics in here. :lol:

I had a day where I didn't have anything to do so I started writing sh*t. My WWI poem and that were the ones I kept because they were good. :lol: :D

If god makes some people happy then fair being. It doesn't make me happy but I have no bone to pick with it.
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby fortwynt » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:58 pm

I have no problem with reality.

I embrace science of every variety, and always have since childhood....though I may not always necessarily "accept" certain concepts just because a "scientist" says so.

That being said, I have absolutely no conflicts between believing in God and believing in science...which is after all, all that Anything really is in the end, a belief.

It goes without saying that there are plenty of things in this universe that we have absolutely no clue about...while this doesn't "prove" the existence of something per se, it certainly comforts me that we are not as smart and important as we imagine ourselves to be.

Religious dogma and legalism? TRASH that sh*t....Christ was dead on, it's rubbish and has no place in a civilized society, not to mention its completely illogical and doesn't help us love one another any better, actually hampers it.
fortwynt

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts