The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Battle Forum

Gay Marriage - Just Say No !!!!

This is the Battle Forum. It was setup for those threads and conversations that get out of hand - and turn into attacks, name calling and childish behavior. Users head here to hash out their differences. Please be warned before entering...
Forum rules
This is the BATTLE FORUM. A WARNING UP FRONT: ANYTHING GOES HERE!

Expect language and attacks from other members here. This place was setup for those threads that turned to personal attacks, name calling, and other immature behavior.

This is an unmoderated board, except by the site Administrator. There are NO THREATS OF VIOLENCE, BLATANT RACISM, or other ILLEGAL ACTIVITY! Other than that, this is a battle field - so enter and read at your own risk.

Postby greeney2 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:26 pm

I'm not riled, I am expressing an opinion in a rational respectful way, arn;t you proud of me. :lol: Have I not discribed what the content of the court preceeding will actually be making a ruling on accuratly? Do you understand that the court ruling will have to decide about 2 different conflicting rights in the California State Constitution? We have these delemias in our legal system all the time, when the rights of one conflicts with another.
greeney2

Postby greeney2 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:30 pm

Thats not your autobiography is it Ninor? :lol:

You said legal in Ontario, what about all the other Canadian provinces? Does each Province have its own laws like our states have their own laws, or are they all covered under one universal Candian legal system?
greeney2

Postby Ninor » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:55 pm

greeney2 wrote:Thats not your autobiography is it Ninor? :lol:

You said legal in Ontario, what about all the other Canadian provinces? Does each Province have its own laws like our states have their own laws, or are they all covered under one universal Candian legal system?

hehehehehe ... I guess it could be. :oops:

... Except for the ..

*I cut down trees, I skip and jump
I love to press wild flow'rs
I put on women's clothing
And hang around in bars*

... and the ..

*I cut down trees, I wear high heels
Suspendies and a bra
I wish I'd been a girlie
Just like my dear papa*

parts of it.

Upon further research, it appears that ...

On July 20, 2005, Canada became the fourth country in the world and the first country in the Americas to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide with the enactment of the Civil Marriage Act. Court decisions, starting in 2003, each already legalized same-sex marriage in eight out of ten provinces and one of three territories, whose residents comprised about 90% of Canada's population. Before passage of the Act, more than 3,000 same-sex couples had already married in these areas.[1] Most legal benefits commonly associated with marriage had been extended to cohabiting same-sex couples since 1999.

The Civil Marriage Act was introduced by Prime Minister Paul Martin's Liberal government in the Canadian House of Commons on February 1, 2005 as Bill C-38. It was passed by the House of Commons on June 28, 2005, by the Senate on July 19, 2005, and it received Royal Assent the following day. On December 7, 2006, the House of Commons effectively reaffirmed the legislation by a vote of 175 to 123, defeating a Conservative government motion to examine the matter again. This was the third vote supporting same-sex marriage taken by three Parliaments under three Prime Ministers in three different years.

Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in the provinces and territories as of the following dates:

* 10 June 2003: Ontario
* 8 July 2003: British Columbia
* 16 March 2004: Quebec
* 14 July 2004: Yukon territory
* 16 September 2004: Manitoba
* 24 September 2004: Nova Scotia
* 5 November 2004: Saskatchewan
* 21 December 2004: Newfoundland and Labrador
* 23 June 2005: New Brunswick
* 20 July 2005 (Civil Marriage Act): Alberta, Prince Edward Island, Nunavut territory, and the Northwest Territories

Note that in some of these cases, the marriage was in fact legal at an earlier date (for example, the Ontario ruling held that marriages performed in January 2001 were legal when performed), but the legality was questioned. As of the given dates, the legality was authoritatively established.

The decision by the Ontario government to recognize the marriage that took place in Toronto, Ontario on January 14, 2001, makes Canada the first country in the world to have a same-sex marriage (Netherlands, April 2001 and Belgium January 2003.)

Source: Wikipedia

I have a number of gay friends, both on the female and male side. Of that number, only one couple (female and female) have been married under this Law.
Ninor

Postby greeney2 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 pm

From what I am reading each or your provinces can pass its own laws, hence the different dates passing gay marriage. Did Canada already have laws that allowed civil unions before they passed marriage laws?

Similarly, each or our 50 states, pass their own laws, and each state has a State Constitution, separate from the Federal Constitution. Our Federal Constitution grants and guarentees that except for the basic rights in the Constitution, the Federal Government grants the states the right to govern themselves. That is why this marriage thing is according to each individual state. California Supreme Court has ruled previously that for several reasons given, they were not being discriminated against mainly becasue of the liberal policies of civil unions exsiting, and other civil rights and civil union laws previously passed.
greeney2

Postby Dark-Samus » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:47 am

I wonder what I have to say about this...?

Hmmm... :lol:

I am straight, for the record, and always have been, but have thoughts on this that I am never afraid to share.

What would those be?
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby blackvault » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:50 am

Here is my quick response to those who oppose gay marriage.

What is it that affects you about it? I mean, other than you're not gay, and you may be uncomfortable seeing two guys kissing, what does it really matter?

I work in entertainment, so I see gay people all the time. I remember when marriage was legal here in California for a short time and had a good friend get married. He was one of the lucky ones to be able to do it... I saw how happy he was to finally be able to do what he wanted to do.

How did that really affect anyone here? I understand some have religious disagreements, but that's a different can of worms. In regards to this debate... how does it really make a difference in your life?

John
-----
John Greenewald, Jr.
The Black Vault Website Owner / Operator
http://www.theblackvault.com
blackvault

Postby Dark-Samus » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:58 am

What is it that affects you about it? I mean, other than you're not gay, and you may be uncomfortable seeing two guys kissing, what does it really matter?

To what I have heard, specially of course from religious people is that is we let gays marry, then their kids might get affected by it in school or by other people and bla bla bla.
And that they teach their children that it's okay to be gay or whatever and so their kids will want to be gay which we all know doens't work that way.
I have a rule, not just regarding gays but everything in general, if you don't like something, then dont look at it! :roll:
I don't like watching people fight so I don't look end of story, why is it that difficult...really I am just so ashamed of living on this world by lightyears.

Like one example is, when I "came out" to my best friend at that time ( 8 years ago ) or something.
He was kind of shocked, but in the end when everything was fine, he and like every single other guy I've met that had anything to do with gay friends or whatever, always gives a response:

" I don't care if you are gay, just don't come on to me "

Seriously, that is just discrimination, maybe not the worst but it still is.
I don't go around hitting on every single guy I meet out there.
If some gay men do it, then they surely need to behave a bit because it makes people like me look bad.
But if a straight man goes into a gay club, he can blame himself if gay men comes to him.
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby mrshumphreys » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:47 am

blackvault wrote:Here is my quick response to those who oppose gay marriage.

I work in entertainment, so I see gay people all the time. I remember when marriage was legal here in California for a short time and had a good friend get married. He was one of the lucky ones to be able to do it... I saw how happy he was to finally be able to do what he wanted to do.

How did that really affect anyone here? I understand some have religious disagreements, but that's a different can of worms. In regards to this debate... how does it really make a difference in your life?

John

Yay, John!

:D
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mrshumphreys

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:08 pm

God created Lesbians so Ugly Women could'nt reproduce ! :lol:

Postby mrshumphreys » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:35 pm

Portia De Rossi?
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mrshumphreys

PreviousNext

Return to Battle Forum

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts