The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Questions that make you think...

Does the MWI imply I should be rich?

In this forum, questions are asked which are really tough to answer. Some philosophical, some regarding morality and many others. Have fun, and post your own personal tough questions!

Postby frrostedman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:14 am

But in your original post - paragraph 2 line 1 - you base the premise of your whole argument on "anything that can happen does happen." So you just contradicted yourself by arguing against that premise. But in another parallel universe, you agreed with me and didn't argue against yourself. That would have been the parallel you that is not a broke, burned out flake.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
User avatar
frrostedman
 
Posts: 3774
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:01 pm

Postby at1with0 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:08 pm

frrostedman wrote:But in your original post - paragraph 2 line 1 - you base the premise of your whole argument on "anything that can happen does happen." So you just contradicted yourself by arguing against that premise. But in another parallel universe, you agreed with me and didn't argue against yourself. That would have been the parallel you that is not a broke, burned out flake.


It's called a proof by contradiction. You assume what you want to disprove and if that entails something false, eg a contradiction, then the assumption is thus proved false.



I wrote:There are some people who believe that everything that can happen does happen. If that is the case, there is a parallel where I am both willing and able to transport a pot of gold to me here and now. But this hasn't happened. Then either it is impossible for me to be willing and able to send myself a pot of gold or it is not the case that everything that can happen does happen.


Keyword there being the word 'if'.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
User avatar
at1with0
 
Posts: 9182
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: the coproduct of the amalgam of all structures

Postby frrostedman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:21 pm

at1with0 wrote:
I wrote:There are some people who believe that everything that can happen does happen. If that is the case, there is a parallel where I am both willing and able to transport a pot of gold to me here and now. But this hasn't happened. Then either it is impossible for me to be willing and able to send myself a pot of gold or it is not the case that everything that can happen does happen.


Keyword there being the word 'if'.

Ok so you are arguing against the "all things happen" parallel universes--still, basing your argument on a premise. Your premise is, all things happen parallel universes can't be true or you would have received your pot of gold.

I already told you. You did receive your pot of gold, you just can't remember anything on the other side of haze formed by your prolonged drunken stupor coupled with regular overdoses of mind-altering drugs. None of which you could have afforded without the pot of gold that you (obviously by now) received.

So, your foundational premise has been shattered and your whole argument collapsed like a deck of cards.

What part of that do you not understand? Or put correctly, what part of that are you still in denial about?
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
User avatar
frrostedman
 
Posts: 3774
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:01 pm

Postby at1with0 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:44 pm

um, it's pretty simple really.

If everything imaginable happens in at least one parallel, then there is at least one parallel in which someone is both willing and able to send me, right here and now and in my lap, a pot of gold.

With me so far?

I do not have a pot of gold in my lap.

Therefore, it is not the case that everything imaginable happens in at least one parallel.

The soundness of that conclusion stems from a logical rule of deduction called modus tollens, aka "denying the consequent."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denying_the_consequent
"it is easy to grow crazy"
User avatar
at1with0
 
Posts: 9182
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: the coproduct of the amalgam of all structures

Postby frrostedman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:50 pm

at1with0 wrote:um, it's pretty simple really.

If everything imaginable happens in at least one parallel, then there is at least one parallel in which someone is both willing and able to send me, right here and now and in my lap, a pot of gold.

With me so far?

I do not have a pot of gold in my lap.

Therefore, it is not the case that everything imaginable happens in at least one parallel.

The soundness of that conclusion stems from a logical rule of deduction called modus tollens, aka "denying the consequent."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denying_the_consequent


Maybe the pot of gold turns to oxygen on it's way to you from another parallel dimension.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
User avatar
frrostedman
 
Posts: 3774
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:01 pm

Postby at1with0 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:20 pm

Well that's one of the reasons I said "willing and able."


Why would you want to believe that everything imaginable happens in at least one parallel?
"it is easy to grow crazy"
User avatar
at1with0
 
Posts: 9182
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: the coproduct of the amalgam of all structures

Postby sheye » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:28 pm

sometimes I think you over think things at1with0....

but I could be overthinking that myself...(sighs)....

tell me what you are "feeling" right now?...Joy?..sadness?...curiousity?...

assueredness?.....all of the above?.....give me a list of your feelings..at the moment you read this?....just for an experiment...k?
sheye
 
Posts: 1676
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:23 am

Postby at1with0 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:31 pm

sheye wrote:sometimes I think you over think things at1with0....

but I could be overthinking that myself...(sighs)....

tell me what you are "feeling" right now?...Joy?..sadness?...curiousity?...

assueredness?.....all of the above?.....give me a list of your feelings..at the moment you read this?....just for an experiment...k?


I do overthink things but I doubt that's evidenced by anything here at BV.

I'm feeling relative blah.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
User avatar
at1with0
 
Posts: 9182
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: the coproduct of the amalgam of all structures

Postby sheye » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:42 pm

I'm feeling relative blah.


yeah...I get that way around some of my relatives as well... ;)

anything i can do to get you out of the blahs....and into the the...cheerier..unrelative stuff?

how about a lil fiddle tune?.... to get your spirits up ?

will that work....or is it "relative" as well....?
sheye
 
Posts: 1676
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:23 am

Postby greeney2 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:30 am

Too bad you don;t live in the same town! :lol:
greeney2
 
Posts: 9632
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

PreviousNext

Return to Questions that make you think...

  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 10 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 292 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:19 pm
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest