The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Daily Wisdom~Eastern Thought

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby BornAquarius » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:03 pm

Such human qualities as morality, compassion, decency, wisdom and so forth have been the foundations of all civilizations. These qualities must be cultivated and sustained through systematic moral education in a conductive social environment, so that a more humane world may emerge.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." -- Klaatu in 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'
BornAquarius

Postby BornAquarius » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:04 pm

I will be posting in this thread most days, please feel free to add your tipbits of wisdom.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." -- Klaatu in 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'
BornAquarius

Postby greeney2 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:53 pm

ARe you the one who posted under another name on the last boad?
greeney2

Postby BornAquarius » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:14 pm

I don't know anything about another board, I have never posted here before, what board are you talking about?
BornAquarius

Postby greeney2 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:58 pm

We had a change in the board in April, which John had to do to improve the way the message board worked. At that time, all names were lost and everyone had to register again and many changed their names to start out fresh. I probably had you confused with someone who posted from either India or Tibet. Obvously wasn't you, sorry.
greeney2

Postby Lashmar » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:26 am

Today, more than ever before, life must be characterized by a sense of Universal responsibility, not only nation to nation and human to human, but also human to other forms of life.

-Dalai Lama
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby BornAquarius » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:56 am

Kutadanta accused the Buddha: "I am told that you teach the law of life and the way, yet you tear down religion. Your followers despise rituals and abandon sacrifices. But reverence for the gods can only be shown through sacrifices. The very nature of religion is that of worship and sacrifice." The Buddha replied: "Greater than the massacring of bullocks is the sacrifice of self. He who offers up his evil desires will see the uselessness of slaughtering animals at the altar. Blood has no power to cleanse, but the giving up of harmful actions will make the heart whole. Better than worshiping gods is following the ways of goodness."

Digha Nikaya
BornAquarius

Postby greeney2 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:24 am

He who offers up his evil desires will see the uselessness of slaughtering animals at the altar.

I believe this is a practice that hasn;t been done in centuries and out of the Old Testament, at least with most religions. However it wasn't but a few years ago an image sticks out in my mind of a Fundementalist Muslim man slitting the throats of several lambs in the street, on one of their holy days. Along with that idea is the centurys old way of their oppression of woman and children, and the teaching of hate twards others.

We arn't living in the 5th century BC, we live in the 21st century AD, where we are supose to be civilized. That poor lamb isn;t even aware of time, so why make an animal die a horrible death for something he doesn't have a thing to do with?
greeney2

Postby Lashmar » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:43 am

and the teaching of hate towards others.

Really now?

However it wasn't but a few years ago an image sticks out in my mind of a Fundementalist Muslim man slitting the throats of several lambs in the street, on one of their holy days.

I don't remember seeing that.

That poor lamb isn;t even aware of time, so why make an animal die a horrible death for something he doesn't have a thing to do with?

To be honest I don’t think we’re much above that; we boil chickens to kill them.
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Lashmar » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:53 am

I like this one:

It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.

-Dalai Lama
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts