The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Daily Wisdom~Eastern Thought

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby BornAquarius » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:32 pm

Thanks Nesaie, I had a thread like this on another board and no one, I mean no ever posted in it except me, I appreciate the activity, that is what it's here for. Thanks to everyone who is posting.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." -- Klaatu in 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'
BornAquarius

Postby Tairaa » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:36 pm

I'm listening, but I haven't much to contirbute. Here's a couple:

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both
Benjamin Franklin I believe

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use
Galileo? I think it was Galileo..

Not exactly spiritual, but I like em. :)
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby BornAquarius » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:50 pm

Those are great Tairaa, wisdom is wisdom, doesn't have to be Eastern Thought...

"Privatization does not mean you take a public institution and give it to some
nice person. It means you take a public institution and give it to an
unaccountable tyranny. Public institutions have many side benefits. For one
thing they may purposely run at a loss. They're not out for profit. They may
purposely run at a loss because of the side benefits." --Noam Chomsky
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." -- Klaatu in 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'
BornAquarius

Postby BornAquarius » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:53 pm

Death is not the greatest of evils; it is worse to want to die, and not be able to --Sophocles

We must assume that behind the world of phenomena exists a Superior Mind. This Mind is the Creator of the Universe --Max Planck (Nobel Prize in Physics)
BornAquarius

Postby BornAquarius » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:57 pm

BornAquarius

Postby BornAquarius » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:46 am

One of his followers urged the Buddha to perform a miracle in order to attract some nonbelievers. The Buddha replied:
"I detest and will not undertake the so-called miracles of magic power and divination. I and my followers attract non-believers only by the miracle of truth."

Digha Nikaya
BornAquarius

Postby MonarchSmile » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:26 am

BornAquarius wrote:One of his followers urged the Buddha to perform a miracle in order to attract some nonbelievers. The Buddha replied:
"I detest and will not undertake the so-called miracles of magic power and divination. I and my followers attract non-believers only by the miracle of truth."

Digha Nikaya

and your avatar is very pretty, besides the nice things you type

:D
MonarchSmile

Postby MonarchSmile » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:35 am

Nesaie wrote:I LOVE this thread! :D

Thank you BornAquarius!

"No coming, no going,
No after, no before.
I hold you close,
I release you to be free;
I am in you
And you are in me."

Thich Nhat Hanh, from the book "no death, no fear"

(just opened the book and saw the above ;))

Roger von Oech: Inspirational Funny Quotations
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but play is certainly the father.

I miss the whip
MonarchSmile

Postby MonarchSmile » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Lashmar wrote:
Nesaie wrote:Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

-Buddha

Now that is a good one. :D

Lash,
You have inspired me to do further reading of Thomas Paine's Rights of Man and Common Sense.
This book has a forward by Michael Foot, distinguished politician and former leader of the Labour
party. To say the least I am not a Tory.
MonarchSmile

Postby Tairaa » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:02 pm

Necessity may be the mother of invention, but play is certainly the father.

Woot! Good one, I like it.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts