The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Cyclone Yasi wreaks havoc on Queensland.

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby rath » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:08 am

CYCLONE Yasi has wrought havoc along Queensland's far north coast, ripping roofs from houses and knocking over power poles in a short but furious assault.

North Queensland residents will learn at first light just how destructive Yasi has been after a terrifying night where the region was battered by the worst cyclone in living memory.

Yasi slammed into the coast near Mission Beach midway between Innisfail and the evacuated town of Cardwell, 1500km north of Brisbane, about midnight local time (1am AEDT).

Early reports suggest the communities of Mission Beach, nearby Tully, and Innisfail, 50km north of ground zero, are the worst hit.

But Yasi's fury has been felt hundreds of kilometres away, in Cairns to the north, and Townsville to the south, and all the places in between.

And Yasi, with its wind gusts of up to 290km/h, is far from done with north Queensland.

Related CoverageIMPACT: North's darkest hour
DAMAGE: Sheets of roof torn from shopping centre
NAVY: Rescue ships stuck in dry dock
BUNKERS: Evacuation centres not cyclone-rated
IMPACT: Residents left to fend for themselves
FEATURE: A force of nature
FULL COVERAGE: Cyclone Yasi
Tully smashed as winds rage
Adelaide Now, 4 minutes ago
Yasi downgraded but still dangerous
The Australian, 7 minutes ago
Full force of Yasi may never be known
The Australian, 22 minutes ago
Cyclone Yasi: Latest updates and advice
The Australian, 43 minutes ago
Yasi targets Mission Beach
Perth Now, 52 minutes ago

At 2am, forecasters were still trying to get a handle on the scope of storm surges Yasi sent into coastal communities. Those to the south are at greatest risk.

The picture remains unclear at Cardwell, south of Mission Beach, where a storm surge of up to 7m beyond the high tide mark was expected.

At 3am, Cyclone Yasi was downgraded to a category four storm, but remains very dangerous.

The Bureau of Meteorology warns other inland towns are also in the firing line, with communities including Charters Towers, Hughenden and Julia Creek at risk of very strong winds, extending possibly as far west as Mt Isa tomorrow.

“All the way across the north of the state, through the course of today, will probably see some gale force winds and a few places as well the destructive winds,” Bureau of Meteorology Rick Threlfall said.

Tully, just inland from Mission Beach, appears to have suffered a devastating event, with locals describing scenes of widespread destruction.

Cassowary Coast councillor Ross Sorbello said the roof had been torn from his mother's house, where he was waiting out the storm, and other properties had suffered similar damage.

“We are talking about a pretty strong brick house that was built in the 70s, so god help us in the morning when we look at some of the older places,” he said. Mr Sorbello ventured outside briefly during the eye of the storm to assess the damage and said the streets were strewn with debris while power poles had been knocked over.

“It is just a scene of mass devastation,” he said. “(Cyclone) Larry was a boy compared to this.”

At Mission Beach itself, reports of the damage are scant.

Mother-of-two Nicky Smith, who took shelter with nine people in her powerless home, described the fury of the height of the storm.

“The house is just shaking at the moment,” she told The Courier-Mail.

“It's very noisy. It's like a train all around us.

“We can't see anything. We opened the door a while ago and could just see leaves and everything flying everywhere. It's so dark. That's the worst bit.”

Cane farmer Chris Holbrook, who bunkered down alone at his Mission Beach home, told of trees being snapped in half by the violent winds.

Mr Holbrook said he expected his cane farm at nearby Silkwood would be stripped, as it was when Cyclone Larry hit in 2006.

“All the trees have snapped off and broken,” he said. He can only imagine what his farm would look light when the sun comes up.

At Innisfail, which was devastated by Larry, there are reports of roofs torn from buildings, including a local pub.

Terrified evacuees holed up at an emergency shelter have told of the windows flexing under the violent winds and water flooding in under doors.

Ingham mayor Pino Giandomenico expects daylight to reveal “massive amounts of carnage”.

Mr Giandomenico said he was hunkering down in his home in the north Queensland town, but a look outside had given a hint of the scenes awaiting him at first light.

“We can see that there are houses without roofs and trees down all over the place but it's dark so we can't see much else,” he said.

“I would be very surprised if there isn't a lot of carnage out there, we just have to wait to the morning to see.

“I think the whole tropical coast will be a disaster zone.”

In Cairns and Townsville, vast swathes of both cities are without power, including evacuation centres, leaving residents to wait out the maelstrom in the dark.

Late last night, state disaster coordinator Ian Stewart said deaths were “very likely” as he detailed the plight of a group of six holed up in a Port Hinchinbrook unit complex, calling for help that simply could not be sent.

The fate of those people, aged in their 60s, is not known. All authorities could do was tell them to take shelter on the second floor of the building in an area where a storm surge was expected to reach at least the floor level of that second story.
rath

Postby rath » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:51 am

How Cyclone Yasi compares around the world!

IF you're struggling to grasp the magnitude of Tropical Cyclone Yasi, consider this: it is so large it would almost cover the United States, most of Asia and large parts of Europe.

Most of the coverage about the scale of Yasi has tried to compare it with storms of the past - it's bigger than Larry, more powerful than Tracy.

But just as powerful is this comparison, showing this storm is continental in size. The main bloc of the cyclone is 500km wide, while its associated activity, shown above in a colour-coding to match intensity, stretches over 2000km.

The storm's scale of destruction is as shocking as it is inevitable. In the map above, the United States from Pennsylvania in the east to Nevada in the west, from Georgia in the south to Canada in the north and well into Mexico would be battered with 300km/h winds and up to one metre of rain.

The economic impact would be felt around the world.

This map shows the impact if the storm was attacking Asia:

Again, the scale is unthinkable - taking in an area from Japan, the Koreas and China all the way through southeast Asia, around through India and the Himalayas and threatening large parts of central Asia.

This would have billions of people directly in the path of the category 5 storm, creating a human tide of displaced cyclone "refugees".

This map shows the storm over western and central Europe:

Just as we saw in our visualisation of the Queensland floods, the whole of Britain would be overwhelmed.

But this time, France and Germany would also be catastrophically affected, delivering another body blow to the European economy at the least and also disrupting the lives of hundreds of millions of people.

Even the eye of Yasi is as big as a city. This next map shows the heart of the storm over New Orleans, covering Louisiana and neighbouring states.

The eye of the storm is itself, over 35km across, & it would stretch over all of the Katrina-ravaged city's centre. In the maps below, you can see Shanghai and New Zealand's north island bearing the brunt of category five.

rath

Postby greeney2 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:00 pm

I don't know why this is another competition to you Rath? Your comparison to the USA or Europe doesn;t really mean a thing, to be honest. While it is a terrible situation for Austrailia, everyone seems to be acknowledging that to you. Europe is not really ever subject to these kind of disasters that I know of, they are not really in Huricane corridors, like our South east or Austrailia is. What is your point?

You have a tremendous disaster but, I'm not sure what you point is? I read only 10,000 people headed for evacuation centers, bad by all means, but nothing compared to Katrina. Katrina Killed 1850 people, and evacuated almost 1.5 million people to never return ever, hitting on of our most major cities head on desimating it. Most of New Orleans is uninhabitable, like a major city has been wiped off the map. The physical/ecological damage was very extensive, hundreds of thousands of homes wiped out being under water. Katrina path was a big as half this country, and caused damage will into Canada, and everyplace east of the Mississippi River were in its path. Don't know the size, but it was the most intense catagory, had 300MPH winds, and was the most costly disaster in our history. It centered in the worst possible senerio, on one our most major cities both in population, but histroric value.

The stories out of Austrailia have been amazing, and heartbreaking many of them. We all hope the storm disapates and the rain stops.
greeney2

Postby The_Joker » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:26 pm

greeney2 wrote:I don't know why this is another competition to you Rath? Your comparison to the USA or Europe doesn;t really mean a thing, to be honest. While it is a terrible situation for Austrailia, everyone seems to be acknowledging that to you. Europe is not really ever subject to these kind of disasters that I know of, they are not really in Huricane corridors, like our South east or Austrailia is. What is your point?

You have a tremendous disaster but, I'm not sure what you point is? I read only 10,000 people headed for evacuation centers, bad by all means, but nothing compared to Katrina. Katrina Killed 1850 people, and evacuated almost 1.5 million people to never return ever, hitting on of our most major cities head on desimating it. Most of New Orleans is uninhabitable, like a major city has been wiped off the map. The physical/ecological damage was very extensive, hundreds of thousands of homes wiped out being under water. Katrina path was a big as half this country, and caused damage will into Canada, and everyplace east of the Mississippi River were in its path. Don't know the size, but it was the most intense catagory, had 300MPH winds, and was the most costly disaster in our history. It centered in the worst possible senerio, on one our most major cities both in population, but histroric value.

The stories out of Austrailia have been amazing, and heartbreaking many of them. We all hope the storm disapates and the rain stops.

Greeney2, you have to remember who you are dealing with rath/ninor is by all accounts totally Anti-American to the point that he feels compelled to make everything a competition. His point is usually to put down America as you are well aware mate. His methods are usually dishonest or distorted versions of the truth and always insulting to America and indeed any decent Australian because it ususlly goes against everything we (Americans and Australians) believe in and it always seems to be about "Mine is Bigger than yours".

Typical behavior of a teenager or a complete imbicile ... sadly the jury is out on that.

As for your prayers and thoughts fellow Bv'ers, Thank you, we will get through this but you kind thoughts and wishes are always most welcome.
Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...
The_Joker

Postby sandra » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:19 pm

So has the system cooled down?
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby The_Joker » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:44 am

Yes, last I heard ... I have not heard as i am sick of listening to our Premier Anna Bligh (same as your Governors) ... I swear that woman likes the sound of her own voice.
Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...
The_Joker

Postby rath » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:01 am

greeney2 wrote:I don't know why this is another competition to you Rath? Your comparison to the USA or Europe doesn;t really mean a thing, to be honest. While it is a terrible situation for Austrailia, everyone seems to be acknowledging that to you. Europe is not really ever subject to these kind of disasters that I know of, they are not really in Huricane corridors, like our South east or Austrailia is. What is your point?

Greeney2 .... you've not changed or grown at all have you my friend.

Your still the same ol Greeney2.
rath

Postby rath » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:26 am

The_Joker wrote:Greeney2, you have to remember who you are dealing with rath/ninor is by all accounts totally Anti-American to the point that he feels compelled to make everything a competition. His point is usually to put down America as you are well aware mate. His methods are usually dishonest or distorted versions of the truth and always insulting to America and indeed any decent Australian because it ususlly goes against everything we (Americans and Australians) believe in and it always seems to be about "Mine is Bigger than yours".

Typical behavior of a teenager or a complete imbicile ...

:roll: :roll: :roll:

You got that right. The-Joker / Nignor / alpha omega. :oops:

The_Joker wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ7F8i_haok

Yasi is bigger than Katrina :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Typical behavior of a teenager or a complete imbicile ...

You said it mate.
rath

Postby rath » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:35 am

sandra wrote:So has the system cooled down?

it died out just today, lasted 3 days.

It went from a cat 5 storm to a 4 ... 3 ... 2 ...1 & then a tropical low.

but you need to remember a cat 5 storm is not that big a deal as Australian homes are built to take a cat 5 storm no probs.

Australian homes are coded to withstand winds of upto 400km an Hour winds.
& thats why less then 10,000 people went to the shelters where all the homeless & backpakers go.

most stay in there homes where it's safe.

Moreover ....

After the floods ..... there was nothing left to be destroyed ...
rath

Postby greeney2 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:48 am

Do you even have a point at all, since it was "No Problem" for you building to such safe standards?

Greeney2 .... you've not changed or grown at all have you my friend.

Your still the same ol Greeney2.

Looks whos taking! :lol:

Is there a point to superimposing your Catagory 5 storm on the map of USA, Europe, and Aisa?

We all feel for your floods and this storm, what more do you expect?

I am sure you had many many people who were affected by this, however, luckily Queensland is somewhat sparely populated in the rural areas, and about 60% of Austrailian populations are near the big cities, like Brisbane in the lower south east portion of Queensland. Had this thing hit Brisbane square on, instead of the northern parts, you would be looking at a New Orleans level of disaster. Not making light of the situation for all of those towns and people, just saying it could have been far worse. In the case of New Orleans, the worst possible senerio happened, hitting head on, having a levee system old and that failed, and having a city built under the level of the sea.

That much I will give you credit for, if your buildings are truly engineered for these kind of storms. That is the key to lesser death tolls in every kind of natural disaster, the building codes that have been implemented.
greeney2

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts