The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Christians - why the disagreement?

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby DIss0n80r » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:37 am

Oh. That's, uh... that's all I got. :(
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby humphreys » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:07 am

Oh...well never mind, I'm not quite scared enough to join your pan-whatsitsname cult or whatever, come back when you have something a little more threatening than "dissolving into the ultimate" and perhaps I'll reconsider.

Christian hell has "weeping and gnashing of teeth", much more nasty, plus little babies that didn't get baptized and the mentally handicapped get tortured there in a fiery pit, you ain't got nothing on that man.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby qmark » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:06 am

at1with0 wrote:So John is responsible for planting that idea that humans are bad by default.

John didn't write Genesis and the "idea" of sin is present in Genesis. No, he is pointing out that it has been around since the beginning. You're a smart guy and I'm sure you understood that. Do you purposely twist?

at1with0 wrote:Anyways... You said something to the effect that pearls should not be thrown before swine and included sinners in that category. I guess you mean that those who don't practice sin are excluded from the group called swine.

I give up. People are not swine. Because of their sin they are unclean, they are unrighteous.
Those who do not practice sin, although they may still be susceptable to sin, are those who are indwelt with the Holy Spirit. Is someone who is fillled with the Holy Spirit excluded from the unrighteous? Yes.
qmark

Postby greeney2 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:06 am

humphreys wrote:
greeney2 wrote:Militant Atheistism is what that is called Kanster. They even try to spin that Militant only means to be violant. :lol:

No, I just want the term to be used fairly for both sides. Therefore, if I am militant, then so are you.

How do you like being called a "militant Christian" and having all the negative connotations relating to violence that go with it?

We are not the ones attempting to corrupt and steal your soul from God!
greeney2

Postby humphreys » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:12 pm

In order to attempt to steal a soul from God, one must both believe that souls, and God, are real. Atheists, by definition, cannot attempt to steal a soul from God.

I could just as well say you're trying to steal souls from Allah, by trying to convert people to Christianity when they may already be worshipping the correct God.

That's not a very strong argument against you being a Militant Christian Terrorist greeney, but thanks for playing.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby greeney2 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:18 pm

You have an answer to everything! What a surprize!
greeney2

Postby DIss0n80r » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:20 pm

You misspelled surprise. :o
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby DIss0n80r » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:29 pm

humphreys wrote:Oh...well never mind, I'm not quite scared enough to join your pan-whatsitsname cult or whatever, come back when you have something a little more threatening than "dissolving into the ultimate" and perhaps I'll reconsider.

Christian hell has "weeping and gnashing of teeth", much more nasty, plus little babies that didn't get baptized and the mentally handicapped get tortured there in a fiery pit, you ain't got nothing on that man.

That does sound badass.
DIss0n80r

Postby khanster » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:30 pm

humphreys wrote:
...plus little babies that didn't get baptized and the mentally handicapped get tortured there in a fiery pit, you ain't got nothing on that man.

Babies do not go to hell...

Jesus indicated that people who enter heaven are like children, implying that children go to heaven.

And He called a child to Himself and set him before them, and said, "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:2-3)

Then some children were brought to Him so that He might lay His hands on them and pray; and the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, "Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." (Matthew 19:13-14)

Thus, the Bible indicates very clearly that children who die go to heaven.

Hell is separation from God because people reject God with their own free will.

Babies and other such innocents, though born through original sin, do not reject God and do not go to hell. Keep in mind that some adult people professing to be God fearing Christians may also end up in hell because one can still reject God in their heart in many ways, even if they say "Lord Lord" with their lips...
khanster

Postby humphreys » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:09 am

Khanster, the Bible is not completely clear either way on whether babies go to Hell, that's why opinion is generally divided amongst believers.

In a nutshell though, we are said to be born sinners and worthy of hell, and only Jesus can save us. Mix that in with predestination and it is quite clear from that perspective that babies do go to hell, as they have not accepted Jesus.

If you are not found in the book of life, you go to hell, and that baby may or may not be in there - if not, bad luck. Others who deem baptism necessary for heaven will definitely expect that babies may go to hell.

If all babies went to heaven then abortions would be a great thing, for that baby, anyway. But it all depends on your beliefs and interpretations of a vague and often unclear book.

- Sam Harris
humphreys

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts