The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Christians - why the disagreement?

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby at1with0 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:34 am

Well probably because people would marginalize the experience. That's what I think would happen.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby greeney2 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:48 am

humphreys wrote:Why haven't you spoken about them?

If you have what you consider proof of God existing, shouldn't you share it?

Knowing you would be ridculed would be why to not share it.
greeney2

Postby humphreys » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:37 am

I would question the event, but I never ridiculed anything frrosted has presented before.

The problem is you think questioning possible mundane causes is ridicule, it isn't. Smoking Joe discussed his NDE and was not ridiculed, and he was strong enough in his conviction to not be bothered by attempts to "marginalize" it.

I am quite interested in hearing, but whatever.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby greeney2 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:17 am

I would say your interest is debunking and to disagree from what I've seen.
greeney2

Postby humphreys » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:50 am

If by "debunking" you mean trying to find a rational explanation, then sure, so what?

The experiences are still worth discussing. Go ask Smoking Joe if he was left scarred and humiliated by the poor mean atheists when he discussed his experience.

Like I said, whatever, it's not that important, I won't lose any sleep over it either way.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby greeney2 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:31 pm

Smokin Joe in the past has stated he has not posted because of the fights and reactions he has gotten in the past. Correct me if I am wrong Joe, I am pretty sure you expressed something to that affect.
greeney2

Postby humphreys » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:41 pm

That was nothing to do with the NDE he talked about far longer ago than that. It has already been discussed at some length - a civil discussion I was involved in if I remember right.

As for the fighting, he is not only focussing on the atheists, Joe is a fair guy. As someone nearly always in an argument you would have to share as much blame as anyone for that, imo, and yes, I'm hardly blameless myself, but I wouldn't go playing an innocent victim here if that's what you're getting at.

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby DIss0n80r » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:26 pm

Isn't it just terrible when people aren't gullible? :boohoo:
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby at1with0 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:15 pm

It sounds like gullibility would be involved only in getting others to believe something.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby DIss0n80r » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:18 pm

That's indicated by the implied negative: "Why should he/she tell you about his/her profound paradigm-changing experience? You'll only DISAGREE and DEBUNK it!' - As if these perfectly valid choices of reaction should be off the table for some reason. The questioner can also respond: "Why shouldn't others be allowed to critically examine it? What are you afraid of?"

So, nope, not interested in witness testimony if I'm expected to treat it like solid gold before even being allowed to hear and judge it for myself. I'm not impressed by whining about not hurting feelings, either. If someone really has had such a profound experience, they ought not be so wary. Otherwise, they come across as insecure. So we're only left to wonder if the believer is merely guarding a house of cards.
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts