The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

A Case for Intelligent Design

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby capricorn » Fri May 18, 2012 8:06 am

humpreys wrote:So again, this is not, to me, a question of intelligence, it is a question of where those laws come from, and why they create such an ordered consistent cause and effect Universe.

I agree, I just think that the universes inherent nature to organize is one of a number of arguments for an intelligent design theory.

event_horizon wrote:There's only one force that gives a slight appearance of order in the universe -- gravity. If it wasn't for gravity there would be no galaxies, stars, or planets. It also keeps Earth in the Habitable Zone. Out of zillions of chances for a planet to exist in this zone, there's bound to be a very tiny fraction of planets that exist in it...Earth just happens to be one of them.

Mainstream science suggests that there are 3 basic building blocks which are essential to the universe.
1. Matter
2. Energy
3. Space
Gravity is an outgrowth of these 3 building blocks.
"a free society depends on a virtuous and moral people."
capricorn

Postby event_horizon » Fri May 18, 2012 10:41 am

Gravity is still the key force that gives the appearance of organization. Without it the universe would just be a huge space of almost evenly distributed matter and energy, with no galaxies, stars, or planets.
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby greeney2 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:46 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_interaction

This explains a little about the 4 forces in Nature, Gravity is only one of them.
greeney2

Postby capricorn » Fri May 18, 2012 12:45 pm

event_horizon wrote:Gravity is still the key force that gives the appearance of organization.

I can't disagree with your statement that gravity plays a key role in the organization of the universe, but your previous statement of gravity being "the creator" can not work since it is preceded by the 3 building blocks of the universe.

Matter, Energy and Space gives rise to gravity.
"a free society depends on a virtuous and moral people."
capricorn

Postby at1with0 » Fri May 18, 2012 2:08 pm

Gravity is just a byproduct of the curvature of space-time.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby event_horizon » Fri May 18, 2012 2:59 pm

greeney2 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_interaction

This explains a little about the 4 forces in Nature, Gravity is only one of them.

Did you actually read that whole page, greeny? :shock:

On a quantum scale the other forces are important. However, gravity rules the macro world. If there was no gravity then matter wouldn't have been able to clump together to form stars and planets.
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby event_horizon » Fri May 18, 2012 3:04 pm

capricorn wrote:your previous statement of gravity being "the creator" can not work since it is preceded by the 3 building blocks of the universe.

Technically, since gravity created Earth, it is our creator.

capricorn wrote:Matter, Energy and Space gives rise to gravity.

Not true. We're still not quite sure where gravity comes from or how it came to be. We haven't been able to unify gravity with the other three forces of nature to come up with a grand theory.

Membrane Theory could be right, we just don't have sufficient evidence.

Since gravity is an entirely separate entity from the other three forces, it gives us all the more reason to call it our creator.
event_horizon

Postby at1with0 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:03 pm

Gravity did not create matter. It merely changes matter.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby DIss0n80r » Fri May 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Maybe order is more subjective than it may seem.
"I can conceive of nothing in religion, science, or philosophy, that is anything more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." ~ Charles Fort
DIss0n80r

Postby greeney2 » Fri May 18, 2012 7:37 pm

I realize gravity is a major force of nature, but also is the strong and weak forces of the Nucleus of atoms. Without that what happens to elements that are in zero gravity, what holds them togather? There is not doubt that the study of Gravity is in itself a huge contributor to the Universe, but so are the forces of Atoms. I sure we would not be doing too well with Electromagnetc forces either.
greeney2

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts