The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The War on Terrorism & Homeland Security

Australia to invest in F-35 fighter planes, & new warships

Discuss the War on Terrorism, Homeland Security, Iraq, Afghanistan, North Korea and other global terrorist concerns.

Postby Wing-Zero » Sun May 17, 2009 5:07 pm

I hear tell that Battlestations: Pacific is suppose to have a scenario like that too.

I need to get me a new computer, than that damn game.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Tairaa » Sun May 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Never played Battlestations, so I won't bash it...

But I highly recommend the complete IL2 Sturmovik set, all the way up to 46.

It features an insanely realistic flight model, or a sandbox style where you can bounce off the land or water, never have any stalls or the flutter effect etc, or anything you want in between. It has like 230 something flyable aircraft, and with a couple of easy mods you can up that to nearly 300. Mostly they only left out larger 4 engine bombers and a few 2 engine planes. Very few single engine planes of the WWII era have been omitted as playable. Not that it matters because of the mods.

Uhm... What else...
It has a mission generator, you influence how things turn out, but the missions can be a bit repetitive at times, but then at times it's not. Overall the quality of the game is 5 star. Graphics range from being run on a shitty little computer, to fairly detailed. Nothing truly immaculate, but as good as I need it to be. Convincing anyway.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby Wing-Zero » Sun May 17, 2009 6:42 pm

So it's kinda like Battlefield: 1942?

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Tairaa » Sun May 17, 2009 10:17 pm

Wasn't battlefield 1942 a first person shooter?

IL2 is a flight sim. Having never played 1942 I can't compare, but I wouldn't guess the two of them to share much aside from time line. Is that the one that allows you to use vehicles and aircraft and stuff as well be a foot soldier?
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby Wing-Zero » Sun May 17, 2009 11:16 pm

Tairaa wrote:Wasn't battlefield 1942 a first person shooter?

IL2 is a flight sim. Having never played 1942 I can't compare, but I wouldn't guess the two of them to share much aside from time line. Is that the one that allows you to use vehicles and aircraft and stuff as well be a foot soldier?

Yeah, it lets you do pretty much do anything.

Plus there's tons of mods, so it really never gets boring. I dunno, it just sounded like they were comparable to some degree.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Tairaa » Mon May 18, 2009 1:01 am

In some degree undoubtedly.

They sound like they share the mod attribute, where there is an active community of people who mod and you can get loads of things with them. I have never really modded it heavily, just extra craft, better sfx, better textures for the aircraft etc. Mainly cosmetic.
Tairaa

Postby Wing-Zero » Mon May 18, 2009 2:43 am

Same with 1942.

Mainly different gun skins, like a totenkopf for the Kar98k, or a ghillied up Mosin-Nagant like the one in Enemy At the Gates.

Trivial stuff, but it makes it look damn cool.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Tairaa » Mon May 18, 2009 9:50 am

I really like games like that actually. I remember doing that with a flight sim called Battle of Britain.

Get this, this game was SO old, that at the bottom there was a bar that flashed and scrolled saying something along the lines off "Now! In 256 color!" :lol:
Tairaa

Postby mael » Mon May 18, 2009 11:07 am

That must have been new when you were a twinkle in your father's eyes.
mael

Postby Tairaa » Mon May 18, 2009 12:23 pm

Yeah, about that age. I can't recall exactly, and there are numerous games with that same title so I've been unable to locate it since, but yeah. It was about the same age as me.

Before that I was playing this sim called War Birds, and in my memory that game was so much fun, but then when I found it again it was SO terrible. :lol:

Funny how memories warp over time, eh?
Tairaa

PreviousNext

Return to The War on Terrorism & Homeland Security

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts