The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Cryptozoology

Ancient 'Predator X' Sea Monster Gets Official Name

Sightings of bigfoot, lake monsters around the world, and the chupacabras are just some of the many cryptozoological stories on the rise! Although many of these stories are controversial - some have evidence that defies belief.

Postby En-Lugal » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:49 pm

Ancient 'Predator X' Sea Monster Gets Official Name

By Tia Ghose, LiveScience Contributor | LiveScience.com – 11 hrs ago

It's official: A giant, marine reptile that roamed the seas roughly 150 million years ago is a new species, researchers say. The animal, now named Pliosaurus funkei, spanned about 40 feet (12 meters) and had a massive 6.5-foot-long (2 m) skull with a bite four times as powerful as Tyrannosaurus rex.

"They were the top predators of the sea," said study co-author Patrick Druckenmiller, a paleontologist at the University of Alaska Museum. "They had teeth that would have made a T. rex whimper."

Combined with other fossil finds, the newly discovered behemoth skeletons of P. funkei paint a picture of an ancient Jurassic-era ocean filled with giant predators.

In 2006, scientists unearthed two massive pliosaur skeletons in Svalbard, Norway, a string of islands halfway between Europe and the North Pole. The giant creatures, one of which was dubbed Predator X at the time, looked slightly different from other pliosaurs discovered in England and France over the last century and a half. [See Images of Predator X]

Now, after years of painstaking analysis of the jaw, vertebrae and forelimbs, the researchers have determined that Predator X is in fact a new species, and they have officially named it for Bjorn and May-Liss Funke, volunteers who first discovered the fossils.

Source

I remember watching a documentary where they uncovered a skeleton. They extracted the skull and flew it to a lab with an MRI. It was pretty cool.
The modern definition of ‘racist’ is someone who’s winning an argument with a liberal.
En-Lugal

Postby TerryG » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:42 pm

I wonder how it would match up against Megalodon
A racist may not recognize one in a mirror.
TerryG

Location: Dallas, Texas, USA, N. America, Sol 3, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Virgo SuperCluster

Postby En-Lugal » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:03 pm

TerryG wrote:I wonder how it would match up against Megalodon

I'm sure someone at the Syfy channel are making a cheesey movie based on that. :lol:
The modern definition of ‘racist’ is someone who’s winning an argument with a liberal.
En-Lugal

Return to Cryptozoology

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts