The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Government and Political Conspiracies

Is aluminum stronger than steel?

Throughout time, there have been countless government and political conspiracies that have kept us wondering. This forum is dedicated to that very topic. Got a conspiracy theory of your own? Post it, and try to back it up as best you can!

Postby orangetom1999 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:00 am

Greeny2,

You are correct about this statement.

If you have ever watched a punch press they sheer the metal in a very fast impact, and the material is well backed up, so it can not move or shift,

When they construct the flight deck materials as well as the hanger deck materials for these aircraft carriers there is all along the decking punched into it...large cups. These are punched out according to a formula for the space in which they are placed. In these large cups is eventually welded a five pointed like starfish finger device. This is a tie down point for securing aircraft. Not only all over the flight deck but also down in the hanger deck. These punch marks are done in a shop and this is not thin plate steel but very thick plate ...to take the weight off many aircraft and vehicles on the decks.
In the shop there is a specific machine which makes these cups or dimples to the proper depth and it is in a specific jig and they are properly backed up/secured to prevent the steel from shifting.

Same thing in the shops...they have here machines which will cut or shear off plate steel to a certain thickness. Not a problem with these machines. Thicker metals are cut on a table with a machine called a Plasma cutter. The plasma cutter can cut out the metal according to a program..all kinds of shapes and sizes. Nonetheless all of these metals must be secured and backed up properly before cutting and pressing are done. But they are powerful powerful machines.

As to my winshield bolt. I believe I initially tightened it to tight with the allen wrench. Constant fluttering in the windstream over time caused sufficient vibration to shear off the bolt. I did not quite tighten the replacement bolt as much but I did install it with that non fully hardening Locktite anerobic compound...or glue as I might want to remove it sometime down the road.

I also remember learning from the old timers who came before me that if you know how to do it properly ..you can tighten a nut on a pipe flange tighter with a hammer..and shocking or jumping it tight...than you can with a wrench.
I would have never thougth of such a thing until the olde timers demonstrated it to me. Mind you now ..these are heavy duty industrial grade pipe union nuts...high pressure stuff.

Agree with both you and Aquatank about the kenetic energy....on impact. It had to be massive and in a concentrated area.

Which is why I mentioned gross weight and mass as well as speed.

Thanks to all for their posts,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Previous

Return to Government and Political Conspiracies

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts