Well I used to do it, and I´ll start soon again though.
What I´ve found effective was.
Training 4 days a week :
1 Monday : Legs - Abdommen
2 Tuesday : Triceps - Chest
3 Wednesday : Forearms - Inner Tighs
4 Thursday : Biceps - Back
Each time :
1. Warm up like 10 minutes.
2. Warm up your muscles
3. 3 Sets each with 6-8 movements on each set.
4. Don´t carry more weight than the one you can actually make it to 3 sets, 6-8 times each set.
Don´t carry less weight if you can do more than 6-8 times each set.
5. Rest atleast 1 minute after each set or you can hurt your muscles.
6. Eat non fat food atleast 30 min - 1 hour after training and eat it before 3 hours after training so the protein and all that gets into your body more efficient and you´ll start to see changes just after 2 weeks.
7. Every 8 weeks take 1 week of rest.
However don´t eat too much if you are not training otherwise you´ll fatten up instead.
Anyway thats about how I did back then.
I just hope I can start soon again.
I have gotten smaller in 1 year but I still have some left