The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

1,000,000 post thread

Feel like posting something completely unrelated to the message forums? Feel free! This forum is dedicated to have a place where members can sit, relax and just chat about anything!

Postby adamwarlock2099 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:47 pm

bionic wrote:somebody throw this fricken thread a bone already!!
:D
oh..I just did

I call it Preparation H!

On the whole I think it feels good.

Yes it does feel good on the hole!
"That's the problem with drinking ... If something bad happens you drink in attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen." -- Charles Bukowski
adamwarlock2099

Postby gudskepteacal » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:04 pm

Well, if that didn't get your goat, try this riddle on fer size:

There were 3 prisoners and one is blind. [for pc crowd: all were wrongfully arrested and convicted] One day the sheriff came to the prisoners and said, "The prisons are full and the Powers That Be have decided to thin the pop. by method of dedicated problem solving. I will free you all if just one can give me the correct answer to this problem. In a dark room, where none could see, he produced 2 white hats and 3 red hats and put one on each prisoner. While blindfolded, he led them outside in the light of day and arranged them in a circle aprox. 5' from each other. He then removed the blindfolds and declared, "I'll let all of you go if one can tell me what color hat he has on." He asked the first prisoner who could see and they said, "No.". He asked the second prisoner who could also see and they said, "No.". The sheriff then asked the blind prisoner who correctly answered; thereby setting them all free. The riddle is, What color hat was it and How did he know.

Both parts must be answered correctly for full credit.
"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and its issuance." - James Madison
gudskepteacal

Postby frrostedman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:31 pm

I'm wondering if this is typed up wrong. There are 3 prisoners. The sheriff created 5 hats "and placed one on each prisoner." I assume 2 hats were leftover. Also, were the prisoners told how many hats were created of each color, or were they told nothing?
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby gudskepteacal » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:25 pm

:Doh:
Sorry, frosty; 2 hats were left over and all the prisoners were told every detail of the test.
"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and its issuance." - James Madison
gudskepteacal

Postby frrostedman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:33 pm

Ok this took me a bit to figure out.

The 3rd prisoner, being blind, knows his hat is RED.
Because the 1st prisoner, saying he doesn't know, is telling us that the 2nd and 3rd prisoners can't both be white (else the 1st prisoner knows he's red).
The 2nd prisoner, saying he doesn't know, basically announces that the 3rd prisoner's hat is red, because if it was white, the 2nd prisoner would have known his wasn't white (and was therefore red) because the 1st prisoner obviously didn't see 2 white hats.
Therefore, the 3rd prisoner can conclude that his hat is red.

That's a damn good riddle. I came close to giving up on it.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby frrostedman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:51 pm

A peasant is caught stealing a kiss from the wife of a wizard. The wizard catches the peasant and imprisons him in a magic chamber, his only companions being two guards. The two guards are each standing by one of only two exits out of the chamber. Only one of the exits provides safe passage to freedom. The other exit will instantly incinerate anyone who passes through it. The two guards are peculiar in that one of them always lies, and the other always tells the truth. The wizard tells the peasant he can ask just one question to one of the guards.

How does the peasant determine the safe passage and escape the chamber?
frrostedman

Postby gudskepteacal » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:44 pm

Very good, frosty! You've solved it and in half the time it took me.

Excellent riddle you've posted; I'll have to ponder it a bit to reply.
gudskepteacal

Postby gudskepteacal » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:19 pm

QUESTIONS

Both guards were guarding just one of the passages?
and
You only get one question total, from both guards?
gudskepteacal

Postby frrostedman » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:00 pm

The guards are just standing there in the chamber with the peasant. He is allowed to ask only 1 question in total and he can ask it to the guard of his choice. Don't get caught up in them being "guards." I'm going by memory and I chose the term, but they could just as well be considered ordinary men, one of which always tells the truth, and the other of which, always tells a lie. By the way in case you didn't assume it, these 2 men know which exit leads to freedom.
frrostedman

Postby gudskepteacal » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:17 pm

I've turned it over and over in my head with the problem of needing 2 questions to know who is lying and which passage is safe. After your last post, however, it dawned on me that a command or statement is not a question; SO...

The peasant tells both guards to walk in front of him as they head into one of the passages. He then would know if they were in the wrong passage if one stopped; providing they weren't under some spell suspending self preservation by the wizard. If so he wouldn't even need one question because the guards would not walk into certain death.

Hope I'm close; that's all I got for now. Please don't tell just yet in case it's the wrong solution.
gudskepteacal

PreviousNext

Return to The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts