By: Marv Dumon
It appears that CBS News decided not to air politically damaging video clips which show that President Barack Obama had knowledge the Libya attacks were a planned and coordinated action by terrorist groups, and not the result of spontaneous protests stemming from an anti-Muslim video on YouTube.
This past weekend, CBS News released previously unpublished clips of Obama's Sept. 12 interview with Steve Kroft of 60 Minutes. Interestingly, the clips cannot be seen on 60 Minutes' website. However, you can watch the exchange on this YouTube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kPqcN-xJdp8
Obama told Kroft:
"You're right that this is not a situation that was exactly the same as what happened in Egypt, and my suspicion is, is that there are folks involved in this who were looking to target Americans from the start."
Most Americans have not seen this previously unpublished Obama interview. The YouTube clip had less than a hundred views as of Oct. 29, more than six weeks after the attacks took place.
Obama's admission occurred a day after the Sept. 11 Benghazi incident. The clip also calls into question CBS' journalistic integrity for withholding crucial information from the American public - information that stood in contrast to the Obama administration's claims that four Americans, including ambassador Christopher Stevens, died as a result of a random demonstration outside the U.S. consulate.
Four days later, U.N. ambassador Susan Rice told a national audience on CBS' Face The Nation that the attacks were a result of random protests from an internet video. Days after the attack, Obama was also criticized for referring to attacks on U.S. embassies around the world as merely "bumps in the road". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v91wISgv_cY
Obama's admission suggests the White House deceived the U.S. congress and the voting public for nearly two weeks. CBS chose not to air the clip for over a month. However, the network aired Obama’s political attack on Republican challenger Mitt Romney that same night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqLBu-DCokM
Romney had criticized the administration's handling of the Benghazi attack and questioned why officials, including the commander-in-chief, did not send in military support while dozens of American lives were in danger.
The fighting took place for nearly seven hours and U.S. special forces from Italy could have landed in the area in two hours. Several days later, Obama gave a speech at the United Nations which referenced the alleged anti-Muslim YouTube video at least four times. Speaking to Fox News over the weekend, former House speaker Newt Gingrich accused the president of continuing to apologize for America in his U.N. speech instead of taking a strong stand against the nation's enemies.