What It Means to be Human

[L[Quote]] · 1946 days ago · [L[0 points]] ·

Moore's Law states, basically, that computer power will double every 18-24 months. When this phenomenon will end, is anyone's guess. Today's cell phone has more processing power than the Lunar Module had in 1969. Our advancement in technology is changing how we think of ourselves as a species. We are a species beginning to take control of who we are. We, as a species, are beginning to see through the religious dogma that has permeated our society for centuries. The number of people that associate themselves with Christianity is on the decline. The reason for this decline is clearly evident. Scientific discoveries in new technologies has greatly improved our understanding of the Universe. Through science, we now know we are all connected from one common ancestor, not Adam and Eve. As I see it, science is not only helping us to understand the outer shell of our existence, science is turning inward, penetrating the very frabric of our being. In other words, science is fundamentally changing what it means to be human.

[L[Quote]] · 1945 days ago · [L[0 points]] ·

Neither Science or Philosophy can tell you what it means to be human.

Human means = To choose what kind of being you want to be

[L[Quote]] · 1943 days ago · [L[0 points]] ·

Science, as useful as it is, has yet to prove or disprove G-d...or any analogies of IT (what it means to be human - Welcome, Earthling.) but for those analogies that have proven wise in application over history, having proven worthy by virtue of practice, has it ever been proven what it means to be human and there are scientific arguments in the pro sector pointing suspicious fingers as to the probability and accountability of creative intelligence (what it means to be human), to the dismay of the hyper-critics that happen to be cursed with such a thing as creative intellect as well, not that they can readily explain where they get their smarts in the first place; and that, by perceptions of applied Wisdom's reaction, when applied and noted by those capable of observing It and THAT only by human experience.

Science has yet to determine what a proper subjective judgment is, excepting for specific philosophies and logics; only evidence of objective determinations, not  subjective, can science prove. (So much for evidence of Christian decline...your statement is but an opinion starman.)

Science can only detect the chemicals of It's ( Creation's) phenominae as in the endorphins of love and define the (on going and as yet many undiscovered) physics and biologies of Creation. No source of Creation has science ever confirmed, but that what may have existed or is existing, due to sterile objective evidence (science's virtue)...nor has it ever been able to un-confirm It (Creation) mathematically or otherwise due to a lack of sterile evidence...and the mystery continues to unfold. Yet science beats on well in spite of proof and no proof of what it means to be human. Explain that. It is a wonder science has held up this long (I really do think science is cool)...and yes there are a couple of philosophies that can tell you what it means to be human Dark-Samus.

Hinduism

Buddhism

Platoism

Christianity

Judaism

Sikhism

Sufism

I got your G-d...

Hmmm, I would say that every single one of them has failed to describe me then Money mouth

Maybe explaining what a human is I can go along with the Science and Buddhist point of view...

...although none of them can tell you what kind of human you want to be...

Unless you submit to the laws of biology and enviroment...Wink

YOU choose what kind of human you want to be. If you want to be influenced only by biology and enviroment, that's your choice.

Well then we agree.

But I think you know that most humans choose to let Biology and Envirment to rule their lives...

I`m not one of them.

(So much for evidence of Christian decline...your statement is but an opinion starman.)

Yes, it's an opinion. But this is an opinion derived from a consensus, an opinion reached by a group as a whole.

The percentage of self-identified Christians has fallen 10 points in the past two decades. How that statistic explains who we are now—and what, as a nation, we are about to become.

It was a small detail, a point of comparison buried in the fifth paragraph on the 17th page of a 24-page summary of the 2009 American Religious Identification Survey. But as R. Albert Mohler Jr.—president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, one of the largest on earth—read over the document after its release in March, he was struck by a single sentence. For a believer like Mohler—a starched, unflinchingly conservative Christian, steeped in the theology of his particular province of the faith, devoted to producing ministers who will preach the inerrancy of the Bible and the Gospel of Jesus Christ as the only means to eternal life—the central news of the survey was troubling enough: the number of Americans who claim no religious affiliation has nearly doubled since 1990, rising from 8 to 15 percent. Then came the point he could not get out of his mind: while the unaffiliated have historically been concentrated in the Pacific Northwest, the report said, "this pattern has now changed, and the Northeast emerged in 2008 as the new stronghold of the religiously unidentified." As Mohler saw it, the historic foundation of America's religious culture was cracking.

"That really hit me hard," he told me last week. "The Northwest was never as religious, never as congregationalized, as the Northeast, which was the foundation, the home base, of American religion. To lose New England struck me as momentous." Turning the report over in his mind, Mohler posted a despairing online column on the eve of Holy Week lamenting the decline—and, by implication, the imminent fall—of an America shaped and suffused by Christianity. "A remarkable culture-shift has taken place around us," Mohler wrote. "The most basic contours of American culture have been radically altered. The so-called Judeo-Christian consensus of the last millennium has given way to a post-modern, post-Christian, post-Western cultural crisis which threatens the very heart of our culture." When Mohler and I spoke in the days after he wrote this, he had grown even gloomier. "Clearly, there is a new narrative, a post-Christian narrative, that is animating large portions of this society," he said from his office on campus in Louisville, Ky

There it was, an old term with new urgency: post-Christian. This is not to say that the Christian God is dead, but that he is less of a force in American politics and culture than at any other time in recent memory. To the surprise of liberals who fear the advent of an evangelical theocracy and to the dismay of religious conservatives who long to see their faith more fully expressed in public life, Christians are now making up a declining percentage of the American population.

The End of Christian America

"When we realize that consciousness and culture are one, when the split between mind and matter is seen through in the deepest way, we can no longer see the inner without seeing the outer; we can no longer see the outer without seeing the inner". ~ Andrew Cohen

[L[Quote]] · 1942 days ago · [L[0 points]] ·

The subject matter, G-d, is not only pertinent to Christianity. Will there be a decline in the belief of G-d? Is there a decline in the belief of Christ...? Does that make Christ any less pertinent? Does it matter if Wisdom is not quashed? If there were a decline in Buddhism, of any pertinent insights, of necessity there would be a new introspective tool with which to explore inner space that will determine that it does matter if Wisdom is quashed, religiosity be damned. Buddhism is evidence of this - it was instigated by a man...a human;  not by G-d send. This is recorded in man's historical record, not G-d's.

A decline of any of these tools will, in any case, not squander away man's curiosity of what it means to be human. Pain and discomfort prods us. Man would have to go extinct first. You will ask that question " What does it mean to be human?" again. There will be a time when the lines that divide successful philosophies will dissolve, just as physics and philosophy are just now being realized as interwoven by the acumen of science. No matter how hard one evades the matter, G-d - LIFE- will express It(Him)self.

Google Philosophy of Physics by Lawerence Sklar

And yet, millions still worship the Buddha as if he were god.......perhaps all the other "god/men" were also...just humans, being dogmatized by other humans who seem to crave worshipping something, whether it's meteorites, trees, mountains, waterfalls, caves or whatnot?

...then millions are making a mistake...and many are. Siddartha Gautama is the man that presented Buddhism to man. He came to the conclusion that practicing meditation intensly reveals knowledge of G_d. Buddhism is the philosophy of his endeavor - not a statue. It is his philosophy they should worship, not him.

[L[Quote]] · 1941 days ago · [L[0 points]] ·

'Always thought Buddhism was more "the god in me respects the god in you" philosophy...but could be wrong about that....god within each molecule...grok??

Buddhism doesn't support a concept of god, and a buddhist can be both a buddhist and a christian. (Unless there is a problem in Christianity about that.) In this regard Buddhism is more of a philosophy in my opinion.

...it supports a concept of truth....

To me knowledge true Buddhism is the only religion that is flawless and uncorrupted.

[L[Quote]] · 1940 days ago · [L[0 points]] ·

I find it pretty hilarious and disturbing that people are so misguided that they have such a chip on their shoulder about mankinds belief in God, whatever that particular belief may be (peaceful of course and within reason)....

to suggest that christianity is inherently evil or bad is a joke....christianity teaches very sound spiritual principles, which even if they werent related to spiritual concepts are still solid natural concepts...personally i feel that it neednt be important if one is "spiritual" or has a belief in God at all...if they merely do unto others as they would have done unto them, or rather do NOT unto others as they would NOT have done unto them, then it is my feeling that they are already living a pretty sound and safe spiritual life even if they dont even consider themselves spiritual or even believe in it.

true many things have been done in the name of christianity, but really...dont be silly...someone might go and blow someone up in my name because they think im sending them telepathic messages....does that make ME guilty of it though?

Hardly.

To me knowledge true Buddhism is the only religion that is flawless and uncorrupted.

Pagans.

anyone who considers any religion flawless, or any institution created by man for that matter, is quite delusional and misguided.

How are Pagans flawed?

I`m not saying Buddhism is the truth, I`m saying that true buddhism which Buddha himself taught is flawless...

although the west as always has to change everything...yeah...but who cares anyway loool Money mouth

[L[Quote]] · 1904 days ago · [L[0 points]] ·

It is the faith OF God that saves you . . . not ones faith IN God. . . . .and it is the philosphy of one "man" for all religions.  . . . not the philosophy of one man for each religion. . . . .

think about it.