Another Frivilous Lawsuit! | Religion Spirituality | Forum

A A A
Avatar

Please consider registering
guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —






— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Another Frivilous Lawsuit!
September 14, 2011
7:54 pm
Avatar
greeney2
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 10228
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

"One student and his parents".

Va. county school board sued over Ten Commandments
By ZINIE CHEN SAMPSON - Associated Press | AP – 23 hrs agotweet11Share1EmailPrintU.S. RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Civil-liberties groups are suing a southwest Virginia school board for posting the Ten Commandments, contending that the display violates the Constitution's guarantee of separation of church and state.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia filed the lawsuit Tuesday against Giles County School Board in U.S. District Court in Roanoke on behalf of an unidentified Narrows High School student and the student's parent. The lawsuit says the display unconstitutionally promotes a specific religious faith and serves no secular purpose.

It seeks to have the Ten Commandments removed from school walls and a ban on further display of the biblical documents.

After removing them during the school year, school board members voted in June to rehang the biblical texts as part of displays that include other U.S. historical documents.

September 15, 2011
12:33 am
Avatar
event_horizon
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1628
Member Since:
April 22, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Figures this would happen in the good ol' Bible Belt.

How is this "frivolous"? The 10 Commandments comes from the Bible -- a RELIGIOUS book. Clearly the school is in violation of the separation of church and state here.

You just got finished having your way at the WTC memorial (by wiggling through legal loopholes), now you're going to gripe about this? Do you always have to have everything your way?

Why do you care so much about it? How is it affecting your beliefs? Why do you want to have your religious 10 Commandments shoved down every child's throat that goes to school?

Since when has your religion/Commandments made the world such a better place? Your religion is why this world is so screwed up like it is right now.

Get off your high horse already.

I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what science, evidence, and logic causes me to believe.

September 15, 2011
9:58 am
Avatar
greeney2
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 10228
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

To an Atheist, I imagine the entire country is the Bible Belt.

Since when has your religion/Commandments made the world such a better place? Your religion is why this world is so screwed up like it is right now.

The world is screwed up because the world ignores them.

Your don't really understand what frivilous lawsuits or frivilous litigation is at all, maybe you should look it up.

September 15, 2011
10:30 am
Avatar
Wing-Zero
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 3278
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

"greeney2" wrote: The world is screwed up because the world ignores them.

Your don't really understand what frivilous lawsuits or frivilous litigation is at all, maybe you should look it up.

I'm probably going to regret venturing into this part of the site, but...

The world is screwed up for a lot of reasons, and I doubt it's due to the ignoring of whichever God's set of rules.

Also...

"event_horizon" wrote: Since when has your religion/Commandments made the world such a better place? Your religion is why this world is so screwed up like it is right now.

I'm of the mindset that lots of things screw up this world. Lust for power, lust for money, lust for control, etc. It doesn't matter what the critters that be use to try and control people, as long as the end result is CONTROL. If everyone in the whole wide Earth was Atheist, there would still be another angle to take hold of the masses who don't know any better.

Regardless, can you say for certainty that the commandments in question lead to nothing positive in the history of existence? I think every religion's teachings has lead to something positive for the world myself. Perhaps you can prove me wrong.

War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life

September 15, 2011
4:03 pm
Avatar
qmark
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1110
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

When are these people going to get a clue and how long are the courts going to allow this abuse of the Constitution? The Constitution does NOT guarantee "freedom from religion", it guarantees "freedom OF religion".

Is this school board telling its students they "must" become Christians, or Jews, since the Ten Commandments come from Jewish writings? I highly doubt it.

September 15, 2011
6:20 pm
Avatar
Guest
Guests

"event_horizon" wrote: Figures this would happen in the good ol' Bible Belt.

How is this "frivolous"? The 10 Commandments comes from the Bible -- a RELIGIOUS book. Clearly the school is in violation of the separation of church and state here.

You just got finished having your way at the WTC memorial (by wiggling through legal loopholes), now you're going to gripe about this? Do you always have to have everything your way?

Why do you care so much about it? How is it affecting your beliefs? Why do you want to have your religious 10 Commandments shoved down every child's throat that goes to school?

Since when has your religion/Commandments made the world such a better place? Your religion is why this world is so screwed up like it is right now.

Get off your high horse already.

If this is so Event Horizon..they need first to be chiseled off the walls of the U. S. Supreme Court Building.

I dont think most peoples realize that they are on the walls there and have been for years.

Here...

http://10commandments.biz/biz/articles/ ... ourt.phtml

Not only are they displayed outside the U. S. Supreme Court building but inside as well.

What is it that the early leaders of this nation knew which todays men of 'Intellect , Gnosis, Wise men religions ..do not know???

What is it that nations not guided by these principals know that we do not Event Horizon??

You know what I mean....nations like Communist China...Russia under the Soviets ...et al.

How did these Godless nations treat their peoples? Please explain this to the readers such that they will know the difference from History.

I see you placing alot of blame here but totally ignoring much of history and what history speaks of men and men's beliefs/practices..

Oh...and furthermore ...Event Horizon...this is not Ancient History where you must go way back into a Time warp..to make the point..but only in the last 100 to 150 years...in the days of "Enlightenment."

Please clarify this for us as to how men of Wisdom and Enlightenment, Gnosis Reasonable Men....treat their peoples in history??

Thanks,
Orangetom

September 15, 2011
7:49 pm
Avatar
greeney2
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 10228
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Like I said on the other thread, if you want this country totally void of any symblol of religion, you are going to have a lot of demolition. You will be burnng your cash and melting your coins, that all say "In God we Trust" on them. I guarentee EH will not do that, so just how dedicated are you to these principles you think we should all do?

Religious symbols are all over this nation, and they do not force religion on anyone, they guarentee you the free choice of it. We are a nation founded on Judeo Christian beliefs. These lawsuits are frivilous because they are nothing but a test of the extreme end of our laws, and brought by usually one person, or a kids parents. No kid goes to an attorney to sue, his parents are the ones doing it. It was one kids parents who took the boy scout oath to court. One kids parents who took the Muslim role paying to court. Like the cross its basis is physical damage caused to them by a piece of metal, displayed in a museum, that hasn't even opened yet. Ridiculas is the word for it, frivilous waste of our courts time, and taxpayers money.

You do not have to even be a religious person to understand how many of our problems in society would be non-existant, if you did follow the 10 commandmants. How many murders do we have in the World, and so many willing to kill people. Imagine if nobody ever lied! Care to imagine, if there was no adultry in the world, resulting broken family issues, divorse and resulting problems with our youth? Like drugs, gangs, and dropping out of school. Many of those lust things you mention Wing, probably come under the one about worshiping false idols, like corparate greed.

This case is as ridiculas as suing you Mother for making you say Grace, and calling it religious oppression.

September 20, 2011
4:36 am
Avatar
event_horizon
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1628
Member Since:
April 22, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

"Wing-Zero" wrote: I'm of the mindset that lots of things screw up this world. Lust for power, lust for money, lust for control, etc. It doesn't matter what the critters that be use to try and control people, as long as the end result is CONTROL. If everyone in the whole wide Earth was Atheist, there would still be another angle to take hold of the masses who don't know any better.

I agree with most of that, but what other "angle" could you possibly use to control the masses' minds, besides religion?

Granted, there will always be evil people that want power and control no matter what, but nothing can be worse than what we see today on behalf of religion.

Religion is the most dangerous because it can brainwash people into thinking they'll go to Fantasyland and have a bunch of virgins if they kill others that aren't like them. And since Islam was borrowed from Judeo-Christianity, Judeo-Christianity is the root of the problem -- it really is the reason the world is so screwed up "like it is" right now. Look at this silly war over who's got the best "God". Eventually it will lead to apocalyptic consequences.

I don't think atheism would lead to something so bad. It would teach people to value life a lot more, since this is the only one they have. And it would make people take responsibility for improving themselves and humanity, rather than wait for "God" to do it for them. And with all these Christians going around talking about the "end of times," how are the majority of Americans supposed to be concerned about the future of the planet or humanity?

I just don't think it's healthy for progress when humans think an "afterlife" is so much better than the one they're living right now. It makes people too content -- "why be concerned about Earthly matters when an eternal Fantasyland is waiting for me."

"Wing-Zero" wrote: Regardless, can you say for certainty that the commandments in question lead to nothing positive in the history of existence? I think every religion's teachings has lead to something positive for the world myself. Perhaps you can prove me wrong.

Not sure you can call something "positive" when it gives people a false sense of hope. In the end, lies do more harm.

You could say that the 10 Commandments force people to do good out of fear...but...you should fear those Christians that truly believe we need such a thing in order to do good...as if we all need incentive, like they do. Kinda makes you wonder...if aliens came here with proof that there was no "God"...just how many would go out and steal, rob, rape, and murder.

I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what science, evidence, and logic causes me to believe.

September 20, 2011
4:41 am
Avatar
event_horizon
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1628
Member Since:
April 22, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

"greeney2" wrote: Your don't really understand what frivilous lawsuits or frivilous litigation is at all, maybe you should look it up.

I know what a frivolous lawsuit/litigation is, and this is not. Just because it goes against you and the majorities' beliefs doesn't make it frivolous. Clearly this school is breaking Constitutional Law and somebody is finally stepping up to do something about it.

I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what science, evidence, and logic causes me to believe.

September 20, 2011
4:43 am
Avatar
event_horizon
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1628
Member Since:
April 22, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

"qmark" wrote: When are these people going to get a clue and how long are the courts going to allow this abuse of the Constitution? The Constitution does NOT guarantee "freedom from religion", it guarantees "freedom OF religion".

This is not about "freedom of religion." This is about the "separation of church and state."

I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what science, evidence, and logic causes me to believe.

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 288

Currently Online:
57 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

greeney2: 10228

bionic: 9870

at1with0: 9243

Lashmar: 5289

tigger: 4576

rath: 4297

DIss0n80r: 4161

sandra: 3858

frrostedman: 3815

Wing-Zero: 3278

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 2

Members: 23918

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 8

Forums: 31

Topics: 8653

Posts: 123263

Newest Members:

mike, Sanchez, heartmom, ieltstips22, Vicente Vargas, Goldingsboy, Bauer Palmer, Spacemonkey, hondahonda, laundryroom

Administrators: John Greenewald: 558, blackvault: 1776