A couple of mathematical curiosities | Questions that make you think... | Forum

A A A
Avatar

Please consider registering
guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —






— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
A couple of mathematical curiosities
June 15, 2011
6:34 pm
Avatar
at1with0
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 9243
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

You know how 1/3 = 0.33333......(repeating).

I can notate a repeating decimal for the purposes of this venue as 1/3 = .(3) .

Parentheses (x) denote x is repeated incessantly.

Now multiply both sides of the equation by 3:

3 times 1/3 = 3 times .(3)
ergo,
1 = .(9)

Or: One is zero point nine, nine, nine, nine, nine, repeated incessantly.

There have been TONS of debates across the internet with people trying to disprove this equation, 1 = .(9). They seem unequal, and the guess people make is that .(9) is less than 1.
Pages and pages of debate. Laugh

Next time we'll take a look at the Banach Tarski theorem which states that you can take a solid sphere of volume 1, cut it into 5 discrete pieces, and rearrange those pieces into two solid spheres of volume 1.

"it is easy to grow crazy"

June 15, 2011
9:35 pm
Avatar
greeney2
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 10236
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

You are a math major, I'm sure there must be rules about rounding numbers, that make these kind of odd situations appear logical. By that logic Pi carried out in decimals never ends either, so does than mean we can never determain the circumference of a circle? Does it mean any circumference is not an exact length, if the multiplier never has an ending decimal. How does that affect the rule, the shortest distance between 2 points is a staight line, if you unwrap a circumference into a straight line, but have already determained that circumference is not accuate to begin with, because of Pi? Does that mean we also can not measure the exact length of any straight line?

June 15, 2011
10:44 pm
Avatar
at1with0
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 9243
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

"greeney2" wrote: You are a math major, I'm sure there must be rules about rounding numbers, that make these kind of odd situations appear logical. By that logic Pi carried out in decimals never ends either, so does than mean we can never determain the circumference of a circle? Does it mean any circumference is not an exact length, if the multiplier never has an ending decimal. How does that affect the rule, the shortest distance between 2 points is a staight line, if you unwrap a circumference into a straight line, but have already determained that circumference is not accuate to begin with, because of Pi? Does that mean we also can not measure the exact length of any straight line?

1=.(9) is no stranger in my opinion than 1=15/15 or 1 = 2 - 1. They are just different ways to write 1.

Every number that has a decimal expansion who terminates has a second form that ends with all 9's.
For example,one half is also equal to 0.4(9)
A transcendental number like pi doesn't have a decimal expansion that terminates, so it is an exception.

Another oddity just occurred to me: since the set of real numbers is uncountable and the set of all descriptions is countable, "most" real numbers do not have a description yet the set of all real numbers can be described. Hmm, that might help actually.

Before I continue, do you mean the idealized concepts of circle, circumference, and lines?

"it is easy to grow crazy"

June 16, 2011
8:08 am
Avatar
bionic
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 9870
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Nine is my favorite number
I'm no math genius but I noticed how cool it was when studying numerology way back..though it was my favorite number before I knew that..but once I saw how cool it was..it seriously became my favorite number

it's critical mass..it's event horizon..or, actually that moment just before

Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams

June 16, 2011
8:32 am
Avatar
at1with0
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 9243
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

0, 1, and infinity (aleph null, say) are my favorite numbers.

"it is easy to grow crazy"

June 16, 2011
8:57 am
Avatar
bionic
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 9870
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

"at1with0" wrote: 0, 1, and infinity (aleph null, say) are my favorite numbers.

hence, the sig..
nothingness..some kinda something...everything
I get it
and then we get back to your fascination with lines of demarcation, et all, right?

Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams

June 16, 2011
9:18 pm
Avatar
at1with0
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 9243
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

"bionic" wrote: and then we get back to your fascination with lines of demarcation, et all, right?

:eh:
What do you mean?

"it is easy to grow crazy"

June 17, 2011
4:26 am
Avatar
bionic
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 9870
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I refuse to explain myself

Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams

June 17, 2011
4:32 am
Avatar
at1with0
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 9243
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

"bionic" wrote: I refuse to explain myself

I've noticed.

"it is easy to grow crazy"

June 17, 2011
4:37 am
Avatar
frrostedman
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 3815
Member Since:
September 4, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

"at1with0" wrote: You know how 1/3 = 0.33333......(repeating).

I can notate a repeating decimal for the purposes of this venue as 1/3 = .(3) .

Parentheses (x) denote x is repeated incessantly.

Now multiply both sides of the equation by 3:

3 times 1/3 = 3 times .(3)
ergo,
1 = .(9)

Or: One is zero point nine, nine, nine, nine, nine, repeated incessantly.

There have been TONS of debates across the internet with people trying to disprove this equation, 1 = .(9). They seem unequal, and the guess people make is that .(9) is less than 1.
Pages and pages of debate. Laugh

Next time we'll take a look at the Banach Tarski theorem which states that you can take a solid sphere of volume 1, cut it into 5 discrete pieces, and rearrange those pieces into two solid spheres of volume 1.

1 cannot equal .(9) because you know for a fact that even if .(9) is carried on infinitely, it can never possibly reach 1.

Here we are back to infinity, staring it in the face, because (it's a long story) we exist in a hologram that simply cannot translate perfectly. .(9) can inch closer and closer to 1 until the end of time, and never get there. The same goes for the distance between any 2 points. The same goes for points themselves, which can't possibly physically exist. No point can be demonstrated physically without encompassing multiple points. So points on graphs, and stuff like this, is stuff that can only be imagined. Holographic, man!

Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 288

Currently Online:
52 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

greeney2: 10236

bionic: 9870

at1with0: 9243

Lashmar: 5289

tigger: 4576

rath: 4297

DIss0n80r: 4161

sandra: 3858

frrostedman: 3815

Wing-Zero: 3278

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 2

Members: 24088

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 8

Forums: 31

Topics: 8720

Posts: 123452

Newest Members:

hong wei, Lana, JOE SLIGHT, Harley Munjo, Mann Spencer, Dreckz de Majid, Boadicea, hoangnganvy1993, D S, PDonnelly

Administrators: John Greenewald: 579, blackvault: 1776